An underrated fish: Redtail rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I received a single R. borapetensis a while back in a shipment of emerald eyes (Brevibora dorsiocellata). These are really cool little fish. They have a huge natural range, from the Philippines to the Greater Sundras, indicating adaptability. They seem to top out at around 2" or so; some sources say more; some less. Mine is a little over an inch and doesn't seem to be growing very fast. They're really pretty little fish: Bright silver, with a black/gold lateral stripe and, as you might have guessed, a bright red tail base. A group would look striking in a blackwater tank.

Rasbora_borapetensis.jpg

(wikipedia image)

Mine is happy to accept whatever I feed him, though like all the others he's a lot more enthusiastic about frozen/freeze dried foods than flakes. Given their enormous range, I'm guessing they're unfussy about hardness and pH; I'm keeping mine in very soft, tannin-stained water. They aren't a nano-fish; mine is quite active. I wouldn't keep a school in anything smaller than a 10 gallon, but a 20 long would be better.

A group of at least 10 would be ideal. My little solo redtail schools with the emerald eyes and seems at ease. I might try getting more when TWS gets them in stock. If you ever find these, try them out! I'm puzzled they aren't better known.

I once had a group. They were very long lived, peaceful fish, and they shoaled more than most aquarium fish. The only issue I had was the females tended to become egg bound, and in those days, I didn't have spare tanks to get them to spawn in. That's something with all of the Rasbora and ex Rasbora group, in my experience. In medium hard water, they won't unload those eggs.
They get to around 2 inches, in time.

Around here, they are a "middle standard". They aren't always in stock, but you will see them 3 or 4 times a year. Not a bread and butter species, but bread and butter with something good on it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back