An Alternative To Corydoras

MewMew42

Fish Herder
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
1,420
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester UK
I'm not allowed any more corys =[

[except in the new tank shhhh!]

its for my 15g and currently houses 7 rummy noses a couple of female guppys and a betta

so is there an alternative to corydoras for a bottom feeder?
 
hmmm i wouldnt class otos as a bottom feeder, more of an algae eater ive got 8 in my big tank =]

i was thinking some type of loach?
 
Kuhlis are a bit big for a 15gal in my opinion. I have them in a 33gal tank and am prepared to re-home them if they grow much over 7.5cm.
They're active swimmers and enjoy being in a group...seems unfair to put them in a 15gal.
 
I'm with Bobtastic. I was thinking of shrimp as an alternative.
Also apple snails (though they will go wherever there is something to climb on)
Or perhaps a pitbull pleco?
 
I have kuhlis in my 35 litre (sadly only 3 as one was DOA will be buying 2 others to replace him) they are very happy and active i have to say.

It's down to personal decision really i think.

Shrimp are interesting little fellows, fasinating to watch.
 
I have 4 striped (not id'd exact yet) and 3 black khuli's (java loach) in my 10 gallon which are active and happy.
 
id absolutely love some shrimp =D

they wont get eaten will they? :|

ive kept khulis in there but moved them to join the others after my accident with one =[
 
Depending on the type of shrimp you get they can get pretty hefty lol so i doubt they would get eaten.

It is a sad fact that almost all kuhlis are suicidal in their attempts to swim in the filter current :unsure:
 
Only issue might be the betta but its down to personal temperment of him. Amanos (cardinia japonica) or red cherry shrimp would be a good start they need lots of plants and a secluded cave system to hide in.

To minimise khuli suicide rates I do this:

 
well erm mine wasnt my khulis fault =[ it got into the bucket whilst we were striping down a tank and trying to catch them and we got all but 1, once we emptied the bucket, mr khuli went unknowingly down the drain =[ poor thing

I have a few in my big tank though =]
 

Most reactions

Back
Top