Ammonia level won’t go down. Please help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Wrong post!! 🤣 my bad...just put kids to bed and my eyes are looking at each other by this point! 🤪 need more wine

I do not see where I have done anything differently from all other water changes. The only change I made was switched water conditioner from top fin brand to API. Used same buckets.same faucet water. Poured water in small amounts before adding what’s left at bottom of 5 gallon bucket. I have pretty much done all of what I’ve been told to do 😢
To be honest it's not the water change that was the problem. It's the toxic levels of ammonia they have been living in.

Think of it this way. If you shoot someone and they stub their toe at the same time what killed them. The gunshot or stubbing their toe?

The ammonia is the gunshot, the water changes are stubbing the toe.

It may not feel like it but the ammonia levels are dropping, it's going in the right direction.

To be honest it's not the water change that was the problem. It's the toxic levels of ammonia they have been living in.

Think of it this way. If you shoot someone and they stub their toe at the same time what killed them. The gunshot or stubbing their toe?

The ammonia is the gunshot, the water changes are stubbing the toe.

It may not feel like it but the ammonia levels are dropping, it's going in the right direction.
All but 3 I killed 😩😩😩😩
Im Sure they are going too
Now it seems I will have to start over. If the last three die, i Will need to figure out how to finish the cycle with no fish in it.

You realized you quoted yourself, right?🤣
told you, need more wine!

Casualties are expected living in those high levels unfortunately, I'm surprised you haven't lost more fish to be honest...it sucks but we've all been there at one stage or another. Learn from this experience and hopefully it will never happen again

Last edited:
All but 3 I killed 😩😩😩😩
Now it seems I will have to start over. If the last three die, i Will need to figure out how to finish the cycle with no fish in it.
If they all die then you'll continue your cycle with bottled ammonia

All but 3 I killed 😩😩😩😩
As hard as it is this may be the case. Its a hard lesson but still with what you know now the next run will be better.

Bottled ammonia? Where do I get that? Will I need to pour out all 36 gallons of tank water and start over with new water too?
Someone can send you a Web link of the stuff they use, I've never used it so I can't help there...if there's no fish in the tank then there'd be no need for the water changes...your water changes at the moment are to dilute the ammonia present in your tank at the moment to safeguard your livestock

Bottled ammonia? Where do I get that? Will I need to pour out all 36 gallons of tank water and start over with new water too?
Do you have an ace hardware near you?

Do you have an ace hardware near you?
If you dont have an ace near you then get the Dr. Tims ammonium. Ive heard good things about that stuff. But ace's 10% ammonia is way cheaper and you can use the aquarium calculator to see how much you should use...

You don't need to do a water change unless ammonia is more than 3ppm.
If the last fish die, test for ammonia before doing anything else. For cycling without fish, you need to start at 3 ppm ammonia. If the level is that high, you don't need to add any more for a while, but if it's lower than that you need to add enough to get it up to 3 ppm. And if it's more then 3, do a water change to get it down to 3.
Then follow this method

Since you will have grown some ammonia eaters, just not enough, it should go quicker than usual.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back