Ammonia level won’t go down. Please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This probably sounds like a silly question but how are you putting the water back into your aquarium.....are you rushing to get the water back in cos you are maybe feeling frustrated or scared that things are not improving and that you lost fish?

If its under temp and/or poured too fast and/or in one spot and not able to mix slowly around the aquarium, that will stress the fish....stressed fish tend to make more waste...more waste will spike the ammonia

So you might be inadvertently causing or at least opening the door to the ammonia spike by the method that you use to refill the aquarium

In the same way, the side effects of using ammonia stopping chemicals is rarely a good idea since it can harm and stress the fish...which in turn makes them produce more waste and then you are forever in square one and getting nowhere fast at trying to get rid of the ammonia..

Honestly if you are using the same tap water and aren't modifying it you could do a 95% water change and it wouldn't change the water chemistry.

The only things you need it worry about are using dechlorinator and matching the temperature.

Sorry too hear that. Unfortunately it may not be the last. I know it feels like the water changes are the problem here but trust us it isn't (though do make sure you match the temp).
I had 6 tetras. Still have all 6.
4 danios only 1 left 😢😢😢😢😢😢
4 barbs only 2 left 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢
All of who is left, looks stressed out swimming weird.
I am stressed the heck out!!
And this is what I didn’t want to happen 😢😢😢
Ammonia is down to 1 , but 5 fish died in the making. I seem to think that too many water changes in a day, just caused this.
I am afraid that getting ammonia down from 1 to 0, means the rest of my fish getting wiped out
😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

This probably sounds like a silly question but how are you putting the water back into your aquarium.....are you rushing to get the water back in cos you are maybe feeling frustrated or scared that things are not improving and that you lost fish?

If its under temp and/or poured too fast and/or in one spot and not able to mix slowly around the aquarium, that will stress the fish....stressed fish tend to make more waste...more waste will spike the ammonia

So you might be inadvertently causing or at least opening the door to the ammonia spike by the method that you use to refill the aquarium

In the same way, the side effects of using ammonia stopping chemicals is rarely a good idea since it can harm and stress the fish...which in turn makes them produce more waste and then you are forever in square one and getting nowhere fast at trying to get rid of the ammonia..
Beautifully said...

I had 6 tetras. Still have all 6.
4 danios only 1 left 😢😢😢😢😢😢
4 barbs only 2 left 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢
All of who is left, looks stressed out swimming weird.
I am stressed the heck out!!
And this is what I didn’t want to happen 😢😢😢
Ammonia is down to 1 , but 5 fish died in the making. I seem to think that too many water changes in a day, just caused this.
I am afraid that getting ammonia down from 1 to 0, means the rest of my fish getting wiped out
😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢
ammonia going down to 0 WILL help your fish. Some MAY die but sooner it goes down, the less casualties there will be.

Beautifully said...
I do not see where I have done anything differently from all other water changes. The only change I made was switched water conditioner from top fin brand to API. Used same buckets.same faucet water. Poured water in small amounts before adding what’s left at bottom of 5 gallon bucket. I have pretty much done all of what I’ve been told to do 😢

@Tenaj

Calm yourself, OK.

I know and totally understand that you are confused and a little bit scared and you are trying really really hard to do the right thing here.

Before each water change, take some deep breaths and keep calm, try not to rush getting the water out and then putting the new water in. Go slowly. Take your time. Unfortunately you have lost some fish along the way but there is nothing that you can do about that now. There is no point getting yourself worked up into a blind panic cos you will make yourself ill and the fish need you to be calm and level headed, OK.

From the next water change onwards, go slowly with taking the water out and replacing it. Take time to get the water up to temp and pour it slow and steady into the aquarium.

Try and not fly into a panic or feel confused or start blaming yourself when the fish are being harmed or the ammonia is not reducing quickly enough....I can promise you that each and every one of us on here have faced the same crisis that you are facing.

Deep breaths, calm down OK...you can and will get this sorted but honestly matey, you need to stop panicking cos that is when mistakes get made.

Slow and steady.....you'll get past this bump in the road, give yourself time

@Tenaj

Calm yourself, OK.

I know and totally understand that you are confused and a little bit scared and you are trying really really hard to do the right thing here.

Before each water change, take some deep breaths and keep calm, try not to rush getting the water out and then putting the new water in. Go slowly. Take your time. Unfortunately you have lost some fish along the way but there is nothing that you can do about that now. There is no point getting yourself worked up into a blind panic cos you will make yourself ill and the fish need you to be calm and level headed, OK.

From the next water change onwards, go slowly with taking the water out and replacing it. Take time to get the water up to temp and pour it slow and steady into the aquarium.

Try and not fly into a panic or feel confused or start blaming yourself when the fish are being harmed or the ammonia is not reducing quickly enough....I can promise you that each and every one of us on here have faced the same crisis that you are facing.

Deep breaths, calm down OK...you can and will get this sorted but honestly matey, you need to stop panicking cos that is when mistakes get made.

Slow and steady.....you'll get past this bump in the road, give yourself time
Thank you!!!

If I’m left with any 😢
Im sure you will be left with some. @wasmewasntit has said what for you to do the next time. You got this, ok. And even IF the fish die, just know that you did everything you could. But im very positive a lot will live.

If I’m left with any 😢
At the end of the day you have two goals

Get the ammonia down to zero first and that is not an overnight thing, takes time, hard work, patience and a calm & clear head

The second goal is once all of this is over with you will look back on it, will have learnt from it and can slowly replace your lost fish over time (not all at once or you might end up back in square one again)

Keep calm, stay positive and keep doing the water changes slow and steady......it'll be alright. People often think that keeping fish is easy peasy...it is not easy at all, it can be complex, it can be expensive, it can be heartbreaking and you find that you have more patience than you ever thought possible. Fishkeeping will throw you curveballs from all directions and not always one curveball at a time. As long as you keep a clear head, don't beat yourself up or get stressed out and you are slow, methodical and steady, you will win and you will succeed in having a beautiful aquarium that you can be proud of......but its never going to be a walk in the park getting there and anyone who says its easy has probably not had an aquarium for long if at all.

BE POSITIVE!

:)

Im sure you will be left with some. @wasmewasntit has said what for you to do the next time. You got this, ok. And even IF the fish die, just know that you did everything you could. But im very positive a lot will live.
I killed all but 2. Im sure they are not going to make it either. Now I have to do what is called a no fish in cycle?

I killed all but 2. Im sure they are not going to make it either. Now I have to do what is called a no fish in cycle?
Wait, you only have 2 now? I thought you had more?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back