Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ammonia Just Refuses To Go Down. -_-

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by t1tanrush, Jul 21, 2009.

1. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

This is my first decent sized tank, all the little stuff was pretty simple and easy to maintain. The problem I'm having is my ammonia is constantly 1-2 ppm. I did a 50% water change yesterday, and an 80% today, and it is still very high. I really don't want to have to change the water twice a day at huge levels as it is very time consuming and probably unneeded. Is prime a good option on getting the stuff down or is this just a spike that will go away in my cycling? Stats in sig.

2. jmain

jmain Member

Have you tested your tap water it could be high in your tap water thats the reason its not going down (I had that same problem.) I ended up finding someone with well water. But before I found someone with well water I just let it go and freaked out about it but didn't do anything about it. I have been doing a fish-in-cycle (my first one ever) for 20 days now and have only changed out 15 gallons (my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrites are down to .25 the highest my ammonia got was 1 and my nitrites went off the scale but all my fish seem to be healthy and active)

3. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

I will test this later, for now hopefully prime can sort it out, no one with well water nearby ;*O

4. jmain

jmain Member

You can always just go with the flow and see what happens.

5. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

Fish are obviously somewhat annoyed, clamped fins/gill scraping, I'm buying some prime after fishing tommorow to hopefully help it a bit.

6. jmain

jmain Member

O see I didn't know all that at first well then... well then im to much a noob to help anymore sorry

7. cowboy507

cowboy507 Member

how long have you been cycling?

8. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

I've had the tank + fish for a week now.

9. cowboy507

cowboy507 Member

the tank is not nearly close to cycled, ammonia wont start to go down on its own for at least 2+ weeks.

10. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

I know, so I'm guessing prime + water changes should do fine until then? Water changes alone aren't doing crap so I figured adding prime might be good.

11. cowboy507

cowboy507 Member

prime is just a conditioner right? I dont know if that will help much. your fish are just large waste producer. I would just stay on top of it, daily water changes and mim feeding. keep it <1ppm with your fish will probably be best. they are very hardy if im not mistaken.

12. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

Prime also advertises that it reduces ammonia well, and I've heard good things... I don't feed more than they eat in a few hours, but they only eat live feeders, and I toss them an insect or two (which is gone immediately). They are very hardy thankfully. I'm doing daily water changes, but short of doing 100%... I don't know.. 80% cant keep it under 1ppm so meh might just let them eat it for the next couple weeks and hope they make it.

13. cowboy507

cowboy507 Member

and if some dont make it, then you can always catch more. the springs have many places close.

14. t1tanrush

t1tanrush Member

I know this all too well, the pond I go to I don't even bait the hook for em anymore.. I just lower the hook in and pull up a fish LOL

15. arobinson1984

arobinson1984 Member

When you are doing your water changes, are you giving the gravel a good thorough deep clean?

Cleaning the gravel is vital otherwise waste and leftover food will rot under your gravel causing ammonia

Prime helps by breaking down harmful ammonia to ammonium which isnt harmful to fish, the only bad thing about using prime is that you are just masking the problem rather than identifying and rectifying it.

Andy