Ammonia In Tap!

afishdude

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
2,552
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
IOWA USA
I just tested my indoor pond that I have my goldfish in (outside pond issue) and it said 1.5ppm ammonia! I did a 75% change and tested it again and it still said 1.5 ppm ammonia. I tested the tap and guess what the tap is? 1.5ppm ammonia!!!! What am I supposed to do? I cant do water changes because the water is full of ammonia and I cant just let the fish sit there in 1.5ppm ammonia.
 
how long has the pond been up for?

ammonia in tap water is a common problem mate dont worry!
 
I have NEVER EVER had ammonia in the tap. The indoor pond was set up last night after some kids drained my outdoor pond. I threw a filter in it and put half the media out of one of my other tanks.
 
try calling your water company and see what they say. 1.5 seems high for tap water. I know mine is between 0-.25. you could always pick up some ammo lock...im not sure if it actually works but i've seen it at petsmart
 
i wouldnt go for anything like that ammlock; not to offend you samiam9818

like he says tho; give ya water comp a call and ask them what is going on :good:
 
AmmoLock is hydromethane sulfinate, converts ammonia to ammonium. This is harmless to fish at levels found in an aquarium. As long as the tank, or in this case pond is cycled, it will help. Your nitrifying bacteria use ammonium the same as ammonia, so there is no issue there.

This is the same product used in dechlorinators that state they remove or neutralize ammonia. Chloramine is made of chlorine & ammonia, any dechlorinator will split them & take care of the chlorine, leaving you with ammonia.
 
So long as you have enough established bacteria they should be able to catch up pretty quickly. I'd be surprised to see any ammonia by the morning.
 
I just tested the indoor pond and it was at 4ppm ammonia. I filled the outside pond back up and put them in there without a filter. I figure their wast will dilute more in the pond and will be easier to maintain than the small indoor one. That is my hope at least.

Tap is still testing 1.5
 
I would talk to the water co. Ammonia in tap water is not a good thing IMO.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top