Great thread! Should be pinned!

Just one thing to add, I have read in multiple places that you can use ammonia that froths and has additives as long as you don't shake it so all of the additives rest on the bottom. Several people have had success with using this type of ammonia. 
I doubt it is as good as pure ammonia but for those that cannot find a pure source it is probably better than using food.
I haven't had any experience with this method but I thought I should still put it out there :)

I have pure ammonia on the shelf in dilute solution in Perth WA.

tunagirll said:
I have pure ammonia on the shelf in dilute solution in Perth WA.

Do you know what brand it is? Just curious in case its available in NZ......

It's not a brand, just have local access to plain ammonia solution :)

tunagirll said:
It's not a brand, just have local access to plain ammonia solution :)
Sounds interesting, do you mean this a DIY ammonia source or something like that you have access to?

Be interesting if anyone can make own diluted ammonia solution. Is this possible? Without a lab and a degree in science anyway! :)

eaglesaquarium said:
Charlie,

The ACE Hardware ammonia is available in US stores, ironically, it can be purchased at "ACE Hardware Stores".
wink.png

Its the stuff I used, and its the stuff I still use to 'prove' my cloned filters.
This made me giggle lol.

I have experimented with a couple of aquarium filter starters and the one that I found worked really well was a product called biozyme. It was recommended to me by a petco employee who swore by it in her tank. I decided to try it 6 months ago on a small 10g tank that I did. 
http://www.petco.com/product/3263/Aquarium-Products-Freshwater-Biozyme.aspx?CoreCat=LN_FishSupplies_ConditionersAdditives

that petco product has excellent reviews on their site---it anyone else tries it, let us know how it works out

I noticed a speed in the fishless cyle when I used it. I had nitrites in 3 days. It DOES NOT instantly cycle but it could be useful as a subsitute for media if now cycled media is available.

Ch4rlie said:
Found a couple of possible ammonia sources for those in NZ or Australia
(With thanks to a member of this forum for these sources)

ScreenShot2013-12-12at221102_zps43ea1414.png
         Pure Clear Aquarium Cycling Ammonia

This is found on eBay website in Australia or NZ 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30mL-Fishless-Cycling-Pure-Clear-Ammonia-use-to-cycle-an-aquarium-without-fish-/291036520630?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item43c320e0b6&_uhb=1

7e0935f4-2d30-4359-8887-bc88bf83cec7_zpsd32faf55.png
         Ammonia for Fishless Cycling

This is also found on eBay website in Australia or NZ 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/pure-Ammonia-Fishless-cycling-aquarium-kit-70ml-instructions-FREE-dropper-/141136099295?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20dc5df7df&_uhb=1

NOTE - These links are from eBay auction sites so I cannot guarantee the links will continue to work, but am sure if typed in Aquarium Ammonia or similar on eBay web search you should find one or both these product for sale hopefully.
The seller for the Australian source appears to have multiple auctions for the same item (buy it now, several quantities available) so it appears they have a rolling auction (put it up for a few days, add a new auction when the previous one expires etc). I would think that they have a good supply and should be in business for quite some time. Also sells it in 60ml bottles.

I typed "aquarium ammonia" into ebay and that's the link that popped up first. 25% solution, smells overpoweringly like ammonia (yes, I'm the fool who opened the bottle and had a good sniff to make sure it was what it said it was), doesn't foam when you shake it.

Better than a dead prawn/shrimp in a bag, which was my only other option. But then again I'm funny like that.

25% solution!  WOW!  That's some powerful stuff.  Only a few drops then... I used 10% solution and took a sniff unintentionally.  It was quite a painful experience.  NOT RECOMMENDED!!! :sick:

I'd really be wary of taking the lid off for extended periods, and would probably suggest that diluting this with distilled water would be a good idea.

Oh, and Charlie, creating an ammonia hydroxide solution is actually fairly easy.

eaglesaquarium said:
25% solution!  WOW!  That's some powerful stuff.  Only a few drops then... I used 10% solution and took a sniff unintentionally.  It was quite a painful experience.  NOT RECOMMENDED!!!
sick.gif

I'd really be wary of taking the lid off for extended periods, and would probably suggest that diluting this with distilled water would be a good idea.

Oh, and Charlie, creating an ammonia hydroxide solution is actually fairly easy.

LOL, the bottle I bought for my fishless cycle was 35% concentrated ammonia and really does stinks to high heaven, thankfully I did not inhale very deeply but still made my eyes water 
laugh.png

Out of interest why do you think its a good idea to dilute this ammonia with distilled water? 

Creating ammonia hydroxide solution is fairly easy? 
blink.png
.......well, not for me! 
tongue2.gif

If you want to dilute it, use ro/di wwater. but you will need some pretty accurate measuring devices to have any control over mixing. Unless you are pretty accurate you may think you are adding 9 times the ro/di water relative to the ammonia solution to get a dose down to 3.6 ppm from 36. if you are off 10% your 3.6 will be more like 4.5 ppm.

The reason I am suggesting that a dilution would be a good idea is based on exactly what TTA is mentioning...  By diluting you can have finer control of the exact dose of ammonia, without a tremendously sensitive measuring tool.

Diluting a large bottle of ammonia is fairly simple.  If you are using a 25% solution and you want it half as strong - just a single container to measure: Add an amount of ammonia solution to that container and put it into a larger air tight container.  Then add the same amount of water (fill it to the same level) and put it into that container:  Instant dilution at half-strength 12.5%.  If you wanted to get fancy, then you could do a 2:1, or 3:1 dilution the same way. 

The key is the weaker the solution the more control you have over dosing.  So, that a 5ml dose, measured imprecisely won't cause massive swings in your ammonia levels. 

I think the dosing to get 2-3ppm would be a more difficult measurement than large scale measurements for diluting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back