Amazon Puffer Needs Operation. Advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

deftuch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my amazon puffer needs its teeth trimming, ive had it a year and it hasnt grown a single mm. its an inch long and it never stops moving or eating. ive been keeping an eye on its teeth for a while and it has come to the time when it is a problem for it. do we think nail clippers will do the job?

Here's the first time I ever had to do it. It was on a GSP and cuticle nippers did the trick.
The method works with smaller puffers. I've done it with marine sharpnosed puffers as well.

Just thought I'd mention...if the fish is still able to eat there are other methods to try first.
For example...you can place his food into a dip in a rock so he has to actually scrape on the rock to get the food. You can feed him clams on the half shell which will do the same thing and if he's big enough to eat feeder crabs they work as well. Since dental work has its risks it's always a last resort.

Here's the first time I ever had to do it. It was on a GSP and cuticle nippers did the trick.
The method works with smaller puffers. I've done it with marine sharpnosed puffers as well.
thanks for the video. i shall use nail clippers after seeing how easy that was for you. i shall be doing it tonight :) wish me and the puffer luck :)

That is normal depending on the severity of the tooth growth. If it's open that's generally a sign it was pretty bad. It will need time to work those muscles again and get it in working order.

I'm glad it went well.

That is normal depending on the severity of the tooth growth. If it's open that's generally a sign it was pretty bad. It will need time to work those muscles again and get it in working order.

I'm glad it went well.
hiya thanks for that info, has re-assured me. i have it in a bredding trap. clip on net type with lights off till morning :)

That's good. If you have krill that might be a good enticement to start eating in the morning.

That's good. If you have krill that might be a good enticement to start eating in the morning.
its not really moving anymore. just laying on the net, not moving any fins, can they sometimes take a while to recover from the stress? i have bloodworms :)

Put right in the way of the flow, either a powerhead or filter output. That will help wash out any anesthetic and get oxygen moving through the gills.

Put right in the way of the flow, either a powerhead or filter output. That will help wash out any anesthetic and get oxygen moving through the gills.
its been over an hour now. its in the flow. this is the same puffer that was swallowed by my severum and after 5 mins of being stuck atr the back of its throat, swam back out as if nothing had happened. its a very active puffer so im a little concerened

You will just have to wait and see. As the article stated, it is dangerous and only done as a last resort.

You will just have to wait and see. As the article stated, it is dangerous and only done as a last resort.
yeah i guess so. if i put a net near it, it will get up and swim like mad. i think thats a good sign. good knows how its feeling. probably just tired!

That is a good sign.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back