Am I Overstocking?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tmoney

Reaction score
I was planning on restocking my tank and i have a ten gallon tank.  I have a common pleco in there right now and i know that my tank is way to small figured that out after i got it.  I plan on getting 6 harlequins and 4 neon tetras i also plan on getting some anubis plants probably only one maybe two and a small piece of driftwood.  Does anyone think that i am overstocking it or no.

Should be fine, depending on how big the pleco is depends on how long his stay will be in the 10 gallon aha.. how long is ?

Remove the pleco now, I think the only suitable thing for a 10 gallon is a betta. But others will say different.

You could do six harlequins and six neons (although a larger shoal of one species would be better), if you kept on tank maintenance and if you rehome the plec, which you should do anyway, or he'll end up stunted and deformed :(

I would only do one school. Your tank is not large enough to support 2 schools. Even one school of active fish like neons or harleys is pushing it IMO.

yea i am definitely going to re-home the pleco the only reason i got him was for my algae problem back before i knew much on them does anyone have any other suggestions on fish that might get rid of algae.  If there is no others i will just have to clean it more often.

You don't need an algae cleaner fish. A scraper should suffice.

You can get shrimp to replace the pleco though, if you would really like a "algae cleaner"

Snails also work for cleaning algae.

I would do neither neons nor rasboras. A ten gallon could support any of the nano species as listed in the nano section of the forum. I keep a betta in my ten gallon, but one could also do a few sparkling gourami, peacock gudgeons, shrimp, snails, perhaps some micro rasboras, etc.

yea i could do other species but i tend to like the rasboras since they are pretty hardy fish and i like the neons as well because i have just always had them.

Neons are too active for this tank. You really ought to consider waiting until you have a larger aquarium if you want neons. However, there are several species of much smaller rasboras which might fair better than the ones you've been thinking abou.

IMHO neons are fine in a 10g, although a lot of people say 20gs I believe they can live their full life span healthily in a 10. I wouldn't keep harlequins in a 10g though, I have 6 in a 10g ATM because they don't get along with my other fish in the 30. They're doing fine as far as health but there's really not enough swimming room with the dw, plants, and them being full size. Have you had a look at ember tetras or endlers?

6 Harlequins (~24cm) and 6 Neon Tetras (~18cm) in a 10 US gallon (~38l, ~45x30x25cm) tank?

Too overstocked and not long enough for the at least the Harlequins, IMO even Neons deserve at least 60cm of tank length.

Most reactions

trending

Back