Am I Overstocked?

tank212

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
714
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Just wondering if I'm overstocked or not. My tank is a 55gal with the following:
2 juvenile angels approx quarter size
5 guppies
4 platies
1 mollie
4 corys(albino)
6 leopard danios
1 common pleco(will be moved to a pond when he grows now he is approx 1.5")
1 BN plec
3 ottos

If I can add anymore I would like to either get more of one of the following: angels, guppies, or platies. If I get a breeding pair of angels I will not be able to take any of the fish back but I can move the breeding pair to their own 20gal high tank or buy a bigger tank if needed.
Can anyone offer any advice?
 
You aren't overstocked so go ahead and add a couple more platies and guppies! I would also add 3 or 4 more cories. They like to be in a bigger school and they tend to be more comical in a group! ;)
 
Keep an eye on the angels. If they're aggressive, they could really do a number on the guppies, since they're a (Comparitively) slow fish. That's really the best advice there is since every other fish in that tank should be really quite peaceful.
 
Cool I think I'll be adding some more of something I dunno yet. Would it lessen the aggresion if I had more angels or would that make it worse?

I had a full grown angel in there previously and none of the guppies had nipped fins. I'm probably about to branch off into talking about angels but I think when I bought them from the store they were actually smaller than a quarter more like nickel size. If they were to pair up and breed would the babies be disfigured from inbreeding?
 
I would keep it to just the two angels unless you really wanted a breeding pair, then you would have to have like 6 small angels and let them pair up naturally, then remove the rest of the angels when they do.
I've had angels and guppies together before and never had a problem, but that's just me. Not saying that it couldn't happen! I've also tried keeping two mated angel pairs in a 55g and that was a total disaster! All fish were added at the same time, and both pairs wanted the tank to themselves...eeekkk!! I ended up having to sell the other angels. But that's just me....I have seen and read about people keeping more than one pair in a 55g....

:)

Forgot to say that there may be some deformities but then again, most spawns will have a couple anyway. You just may have to cull a bit more is all....
 
I would say that you have plenty of room (look at what I have in a 55 gal in my profile). I think that you should go for more guppies. Also what filter do you use? I have a pretty large filter so I could maybe have slightly more fish in my tank thn one with a small filter.
 
Cool I think I'm gonna add more guppies I need more females anyways. I don't know if I will add more cories cause the stores I have around me do not have good selections and are not always healthy.
I have two filters going ones a whisper that supports over 50 gallons and the other is another brand that I can't think of the name with a biowheel and it supports over 50 gallons. So I think my filtration is up to par. Also about the angels I think I am gonna be getting another tank either a large bow or another rectangular shaped 75 gal if I'm lucky bigger. I think I'm gonna add live plants to it and have an angel or two in it with maybe some dwarf cichlids and more livebearers of course.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top