Algea Outbreak

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sam2105

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 35G tank that is 6 months old now: 15 Harlequin Rasboras, 9 Neon Tetras, 6 Amano Shrimps, 1 Assassin Snail. My tank is invaded by all sorts of algae; green, brown, hair, and it's everywhere brown and hair algae are covering my plants, green algae is on tank glass. I have DIY CO2, I cut down on the lights schedule from 12 hours to 10 and now running my lights for 8 hours hours only, I have 2 X 24" power GLO T8 bulbs and 1 X 36" T5 LED tube.I use liquid fertilizers for my plants. I have two HOB filters each on one side of my tank so the water circulation is great. I change 25% to 30% of tank water on a weekly basis. After doing some readings i recently added six Amano shrimps (they are great algea eaters!) I feed my fish once per day a small amount of food that they finish within 2 minutes. Any suggestions to get rid of the algae or at least control it in a way that won't kill my plants would be appreciated. I would rather find out what's causing this algae breakdown than adding some algae eating fish.

Can you identify what type of algae it is first? A common one is brown algae for example, it is brown and is a single celled organism but it still spreads throughout the tank. I recently had some all over my decorative rocks, it took a while but I eventually got rid of it with a couple algae eaters, less food, and less light intensity. Please be more specific so that I can help you. 
welcomeani.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back