Algea on the glass.... how to rid?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jeffrey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I seem to have a layer of algea on the glass and even some of the plant leaves, and on the rocks.

whats the best way to get rid of this? I have 9 kuhli loaches with the plan to get more, so the bottom is pretty full.

The problem is the tank gets several hours of sunlight every day. This has never been a problem befor, but a few weeks ago my sister desided to "clean out my tank" and removed all my plants. so my plants while growing back surtainly dont fill the tank like they did.

Start scrubbing my friend. thats probably the fastest way to get it off the glass, but it won't stop it from coming back

keep the tank out of direct sunlight, this will cause an algae bloom and that's probably what's causing all that algae :)

until then, get ready to do some scrubbing :p

well I know the sun is whats causeing it, but it was fine for hte 5 years or so its been sitting there, untill the other plants were removed.

I find this odd, so maybe its something else?

maybe throughout the entire 5 yeras, the plants have been keeping the algae level down, and now as soon as you remove them the algae goes crazy :D you can always buy those medicine/chemical things that are supposet to remove algae...though algae isn't necessarily BAD for your tank, they just don't look very nice.

Guppylover said:
You could always buy an algae eater. They do eat algae, well that's how I deal with algae problems.
how much do they eat?
I have some snails that I notice are coming up, should they be enough to help?
I dont mine scrubing it off the front and leaving the rest either.

what should I use to get it off?

Ummm otocinclus are really good algae eaters. If you have a really large tank then a pleco would be good also a very good algae eater.
If you have snails they it would be ok...It also depends on the size of the snails, small ones would take some time to eat all of they algae but if you have a lot like you said them I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

I've just bought a Corydory and bless him, he spends all day cleaning the tank, its amazing how much cleaner the glass looks, i would definately recommend him, Even though i gave him a wafer, he still spends all day on the glass/gravel etc.

I dont know about compatability with your other fish, i'm only a beginner, but my cory is top banana lol

iv just ordered some ottos :) iv been wanting to get some of these for a while... i havnt got algea but i hear they are good algea eaters, unlike most plecs they wont grow massive an get bone idle :grr:

my bristlenose keeps the glass of my 40(usgal) tank ,although you probably dont want any more bottomdwellers. He wont touch thread algae though = me scrubbing.

although ive never experienced myself i have heard some horror stories about snails dieing and fouling the hole tank, so i stay away.

Corydoras are not algae eaters so it must be hungry if it's nibbling off algae on glass. Strange. Oto's, Plecos, snails, shrimps, etc are all good algae cleaners but none of them are capable of getting all the algae and not all of them (Plecos, snails and shrimp) are even algae eaters despite their reputations.

Scrubbing is the only way to go to truly remove all algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back