Algae Problem What Fish To Keep It Down?

Gurglar

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok got some algae growing on the glass of my 30 gallon and wanna know which types of fish would be better to put in to keep it under control.

Now there is only 15 neon tetras in there at the moment next fish will be some cories but need to get this algae down before I wanna add some cories so what would be best?

Bristlenose
some oto's
snails
shrimps

Thanks.
 
obviously BN...theyre a big favorite here at TFF


reasons-


more hardier than otos, snails reproduce like mad, and theyre the most effective one at riding your tank of algae. BNs are pry the best pleco for doing so...BN's and common plecs do wonders. my rubbernose, clown, and whiptails slack off most of the time
 
obviously BN...theyre a big favorite here at TFF


reasons-


more hardier than otos, snails reproduce like mad, and theyre the most effective one at riding your tank of algae. BNs are pry the best pleco for doing so...BN's and common plecs do wonders. my rubbernose, clown, and whiptails slack off most of the time

Was leaning towards a BN a mate has a couple of them and asked me if I wanted them so I might grab one off him.

What is best male or female?

Are they fine on there own or better in a pair or something I think I remember reading they can become abit territorial?
 
as long as you get only one apple snail you wont have a problem reproducing as they have individual sexes - so you need both male and female
they also lay their eggs above the water line so if you did get more than one and didnt want babies you can just destroy the clutch

cherry and amano shrimps are excellent at removing algae including hair algae and the rust on plants , cherry shrimps are very easy to breed but are small , amano shrimps breed in fresh water but the zoes need to be moved to brackish water to live m they are a bit bigger than cherrys and are fun to watch they also create minimum waste unlike plecs etc
 
This may sound a bit strange but I have just bought 2 pink kissing gouramis and they absolutely love the algae. They have cleaned my tank up in a matter of days. Its funny watching them because they have brown lips...looks like they have been eating chocolate lol.
 
I would like to point out that although some fish will help with algae control, they are by no means the best method.

The best method for control of algae in any tank is to limit the light. Also, ammonia is a big algae trigger so make sure your filter is coping easily with the bio-load.

Is the tank planted with real plants? If so, unstable CO2 levels could be a factor.

Using fish is fine in conjunction with other methods, but i always say prevention is better than cure............

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
I would like to point out that although some fish will help with algae control, they are by no means the best method.

The best method for control of algae in any tank is to limit the light. Also, ammonia is a big algae trigger so make sure your filter is coping easily with the bio-load.

Is the tank planted with real plants? If so, unstable CO2 levels could be a factor.

Using fish is fine in conjunction with other methods, but i always say prevention is better than cure............

Cheers :good:

BTT

Very true, most of my algae on the back of the tank has been there since I cycled the tank. Its very hard to scrub off. I have real plants and all the parameters are correct. I limit my lighting to 8/9 hours a day. I do have real plants but not many and I have 2 air stones and a very powerful air pump.
 
8/9 hours of light is actually quite a lot, i would try switching down to 6 hrs a day and see if it clears up.


as BTT say's if you have algae look into the causes and fix them, if you want a bristelnose or any of the other algae eaters get them because you like them, not to do a job for you!
 
Theres so many different types of algae that one fish will not be the answer and as Miss W and BTT said there are other more efficient ways to combat algae, make sure your tank is not in direct sunlight. The light tube itself has never been a factor for me, i keep all my lights on for 12 per day and have never had a problem with algae. I keep my BN's for breeding which is a good job as they are lazy buggers and never seem to touch the algae - although they probably don't need too as they are fed a proper diet of different greens, vitamins and tabs - this is another, very important thing to keep in mind, if you do get a BN make sure you feed it properly and please don't leave it to live on algae as a lot of people do.

The most important factors are that you keep a eye on your ammonia levels and have your tank out of direct sunlight.


Jonny.
 
My tank readings are perfect got zero ammonia so that ain't a factor the tank finished cycling about 2 weeks ago so it started producing algae in the cycling process probably from the ammonia.

The tank isn't in direct sunlight and I only have my light switched on for about 6 hours a day and have no real plants in there.

I wouldn't just get the fish to keep the algae down it would be fed properly and not just left to algae I just want something that will keep it under control abit more to help out.

i might go a BN as I do like them and can get one or 2 for free off my mate but should I go a male or a female?
 
i might go a BN as I do like them and can get one or 2 for free off my mate but should I go a male or a female?

It doesn't really matter, if they are young get both, you might get lucky and they might pair up. I've found the males are generally a bit lazier than the females. Both sexes are very placid - the only real difference are the bristles and size, males grow slightly larger.
 
kissing gourami go off cleaning dutys when they get big well mine did lol
scot
 
i might go a BN as I do like them and can get one or 2 for free off my mate but should I go a male or a female?

It doesn't really matter, if they are young get both, you might get lucky and they might pair up. I've found the males are generally a bit lazier than the females. Both sexes are very placid - the only real difference are the bristles and size, males grow slightly larger.

Might just get one female, done a little reading and seems the males adopt a cave and spend most of there time there guarding it and females move around alot and change areas so they aren't sitting in one spot.
 
the females are the workhorses when the males get a little older they get lazy and hover around the ornaments well mine has but the female will do the job providing you dont just rely on algea as its diet then it should be fine
 

Most reactions

Back
Top