Algae Outbreak

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

delboy32

Reaction score
Hi, I started a new aquarium 8 weeks ago & have started to experience rapid algae growth. There's some green algae on the front off the tank & light brown on the back, but both are easily removed. The real problem is the rapid advancement of dark algae that covers the live plants/ornaments & aquarium floor. The plants are started to die away & the acid levels within the tank are rising.

I transfered some beechwood from my previous tank that had a little algae, but know the growth rate has been phenomenal. The aquarium size is 36x15x18 & I am using 2 x 25 watts tubes with reflectors that promote plant growth. The tubes are on for 12 hrs per day. Also, 3 weeks ago I added some Flora Vit & Fora Fe that provides nutrients for plants. This seems to have escalated the problem with the algae.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Del

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Since you already had a tank, you probably know that exposure to direct sun light can cause algae, especially blue-green algae which sounds to be what you are describing. It is extremely hard to get rid of as it is actually an organism called cyanobacteria and not algae at all. Some people have had luck with a 3 day blackout. I tried that once and although it was gone when I uncovered the tank, it came back. I have also read where people have used Maracyn to get rid of it but I'm not a believer in treating a tank with a medication unless you have sick fish. Cutting the light time back and the amount you feed the fish so there is no left over food should help some. The best way to remove it is by hand or by vacuuming it out (use the hose only, without the vacuum end, and it will suck it right up).

How often are you doing water changes and what are your nitrate readings? The things you added for your plants is most likely feeding the algae and the algae is outcompeting the plants for food, thus the plants are starting to diie.

I agrree with rdd1952, it sounds like blue green algae (cyanobacteria).
Do a daily water change and siphon out any algae you can. Try to gravel clean the gravel as well. Blue green algae loves nutrients so the less rubbish in the tank and gravel, the less food it has. The stuff can also photosynthesise like a plant so reducing light can help as well.
If possible increase water movement and aeration.
Eventually it should go.

It's probably just a matter of not over-feeding. You are probably putting in too much food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back