Algae in java moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Depends on how much detritus you have in your tank; mine only need cleaning once a week (or less) during WC's

What kind of filter do you have, and what's in it?

I have a Penn Plax cascade canister 500. It has biological media balls and a coarse sponge in the lower basket, and fewer bio-balls, filter floss, and a filter pad in the top basket.

Not familiar with that one, but how often do you clean it (while preserving your BB colony, of course)?

Does the floss get changed out, or re-used?

I actually have the same issue... hair algae in my Java Moss, Nicrew Light... it was kinda pretty at first, but now it’s choking everything out.

I clean it every two weeks, rinse the floss, pad, and sponge in aquarium water. And replace the floss and pad every 4 weeks. I just leave the bio-balls.

Sounds like a good schedule, you might just have to deal with the detritus buildup...I'd still try those mesh prefilters, I like mine alot, they clean up easily with an old toothbrush and hot tap water.

Sounds like a good schedule, you might just have to deal with the detritus buildup...I'd still try those mesh prefilters, I like mine alot, they clean up easily with an old toothbrush and hot tap water.
yeah I've been cleaning it regularly, im just curious when the babies will be big enough so I can take the mesh off (so my filter can work at full power.) Those would probably make the job easier because right now I just have mesh rubber-banded around the intake and it's hard to get on and off. So I just scrub it underwater and vac out the gunk.

How hard would it be to turn off the filter and pull the intake tube out of the water?
That way, you could clean it in the sink, and not re-pollute the tank with the detritus.

Interesting... How long have you been dealing with it?
Eh, about a week. I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day, and the Java Moss is right near the surface. But it’s starting to choke out my floating plants. :/

It’s weird we both have the same issue, with the same lights... :dunno:

How hard would it be to turn off the filter and pull the intake tube out of the water?
That way, you could clean it in the sink, and not re-pollute the tank with the detritus.
It doesn't repolute the tank I have the vac right next to it and I scrub it off and it gets sucked up right away.

Eh, about a week. I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day, and the Java Moss is right near the surface. But it’s starting to choke out my floating plants. :/

It’s weird we both have the same issue, with the same lights... :dunno:
Yeah it is strange that we both have the same problem with the same light. Want size tank do you have? My java moss is about half way down the hight of the tank (its 18 inches tall).
I only have my lights on for 8 hours normally, 14 would be a lot for me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back