Algae in java moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Holm_Tanks.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank is almost algae-free other than the algae that is in my java moss. I have a nicrew full spectrum led.

Led light on full power 8 hours a day. Light is 18 inches above the substrate. No co2. What can I do to get rid of the algae? There is java moss that is lower down in the tank that doesn’t have the algae, so reduce the intensity of the light maybe?

Attachments

• java moss algae.jpg
    java moss algae.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 75
hmm maybe it is a lot of light, its hair algae i think so i think you should lift the light, scrub the algwae off and water change the loose bits off

I can't lift the light. Will turning the intensity have the same effect? If so there are six settings, which one should I use? It's hard to get the hair algae out of the moss any suggestions?

I can't lift the light. Will turning the intensity have the same effect? If so there are six settings, which one should I use? It's hard to get the hair algae out of the moss any suggestions?
ahhh use the one with less light...

Settings aren't as important as amount of time the lights are on...shorten the lighting time to 4 hours a day, and see if it helps

Right, ok. Any suggestion on manually removing the algae from moss?

And also I was wondering If a decreased flow rate can have to do with algae. Because my RCS had babies 2 weeks ago and I put some mesh over the intake of my canister filter, and it gets clogged pretty quick. I think it reducing the flow. And I've seen an increase of algae since then.

Yes, in some tanks, decreased flow benefits algae.

Ok, I've been anxious to take off the mesh because I have to clean it off almost every day and it's inhibiting the filter (I think). Im just worried cause I don't want the baby rcs to be sucked into the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back