Algae Eater Problems

Ally555

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Australia
Hi everyone.

I have some questions about algae eaters as I have one and don't know much about them, but I have heard bad things.

Are Algae Eaters and Chinese Algae Eaters the same thing?
How aggressive are they?
Are they suitable for my tropical fish tank?
How big do they get and whats their lifespan?

Please help me out!!! :unsure:
 
I would avoid the Chinese Algae Eaters, as they lose their taste for Algae at about 3 inches, and like to suck on the slime coat of other fish. The Siamese Algae eater is a better choice.
 
Usually when a fish is sold as an "algae eater" it's a CAE, as are golden sucking loaches and a few other common names. There are Siamese Algae Eaters, False Siamese Algae Eaters, and Flying Foxes, all three of which I usually see just as "Flying Fox."

They can get quite large, 8-12 inches, and as already said, they don't stay true to their name, they eventually get a better taste for the slime coat, scales, fins, and sometimes eyes of other fish. They're better suited with aggressive fish like cichlids that will punch back. The species sold as flying fox vary, and unless you're confident you can tell the subtle differences, I'd steer clear of them as well.

Bristlenose plecs are just about the ideal community algae eater. They generally top out around 4 inches, are active, peaceful to other fish, and they have the prehistoric look of more commonly sold plec species that get many times their size. I've found mine gets a bit boisterous around feeding time - usually he'll claim a piece of food and defend it from other fish, so it's important to make sure that food not meant specifically for him is spread out enough that he can't claim all of it.
 
A Chinese AE is a species of algae eater. There are many species. As mentioned, Chinese AEs are not good choices as they become very aggressive when they get older and don't really eat much algae. If you can find true Saimese AEs, they are about the same size as CAE (don't get quite as large as adults) but will eat lots of algae. They will also eat regular food if there is no algae present. Below is a site that has a good description of SAEs, CAEs, false SAEs and Flying Foxes.

Algae Eaters
 
Thanks for the replys and the website.
I found out that my Algae Eater is a Chinese Algae Eater. I'm not sure if I will keep it or not as it already annoys my bronze cory and it's only around 6 or 7cm long. Is there anyway to stop it doing this apart from separating them.
 
Not really. You can't suppress a fish's nature, only change its environment to fit its nature.
 
I was just wondering:

Are there any types of fish that eat algae and only grow to about 2 or 3 inches?
 
The true SAEs will eventually grow to about 4 or 5 inches but will not bother the other fish. BN plecos also stay small. You might also want to look into Otos. They won't get over about 1.5". I just haven't had any luck with them as they are prone to die for no apparent reason.
 
As rdd said, Otos would probably be what you want. I had great luck with mine, I made sure that the fish store had algae in their tanks (which it did), made sure that my tank had algae for them to come home to, and they've been great troopers. They do like to be in groups though, I have two in a 10 gallon tank but they stick together and seem to be happy. They aren't the most effective algae eaters as I still have to scrape some off the tank sides at tank cleaning (being sure to only scrape two sides and leave algae somewhere in the tank).
 
This is probably a stupid question but I'll write it anyway. :blush:

Do Female Bristlenose Plecos have the bristles?
 
Our algae eater was fairly peaceful until a a week ago, then he "snapped", and started ambushing our severum and rainbow. Off to another tank with him.

-Ryan
 
Here's a Chinese algae eater.

DSCN0853.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top