Algae Eater Etc...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

methodmza_uk

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello people

I have a 14 UK Gallon tank and would like an algae eater or suckin loach type fish for it.

Any reccomendations for the tank?

Many thanks guys

What type of algae? Hours of light? Is it near a window? Do you overfeed? Is the tank overstocked? Got many plants?

(establishing cause of algae)

We need more info. Specifically current stocking would help.

As a rule, don't get more fish only to control algae.

There are no perfect "algae eater" fish that will just keep your tank clear. Even algae eating fish require other foods to supplement, and many that are sold as algae eaters don't actually eat algae (like plecs and loaches, for example)

No no, i suppose i dont mean algae. I mean a fish that will swim along the bottom eatin left over food etc. But one that wont get too big. Just after types of fish like this really.

Hi,

The only plec type thing suitable for a 14 gal tank is the otocinclus. They like to be in groups of at least 3 though so it depends if you have room and what other fish you keep as to whether you should get some. Have a look in the fish index for its profile.

Emma :)

No no, i suppose i dont mean algae. I mean a fish that will swim along the bottom eatin left over food etc. But one that wont get too big. Just after types of fish like this really.

Cory's..... ??

But these need to be in a small group, hence peoples questions about the stocking levels..

Squid

If you can find some pygmy cories, they are good bottom feeders and are smaller, so you can stock enough to keep them happy in a 15 gallon.

If you want a bottom feeder i'd go for a shrimp. ghost shrimp will eat any leftover food that gets to the bottom of the tank. And you can def. keep them in a 15 gallon (depending on current stocking levels of course)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back