The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KatNor21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10gal betta tank with 3 amano shrimp and 1 nerite snail. I'm getting a lot of brown algae on the glass that's clouding my view, and my algae eaters aren't dealing with it. Anything I could add to help out?

Also, should I add any bottom feeders? I noticed some teeny tiny detritus worms.

Minimise feeding, ensure good filtration, get a small filter with an algaecide pad. Limit lights on to about 8 hrs day if you have plants.

Just put some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) in the tank and they will reduce the algae and provide the Betta with some shelter.

Try not to use algicides because they harm the fish and higher plants.

To control detritus worms, reduce feeding and do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate at least once a week. If you do it every day for a week it will normally get rid of most of them and then you can go to once a week.

Just put some floating plants like Water Sprite
I recently put in some water spangles, but my amano shrimp apparently likes to eat them. Seems they're eating the roots, so I'm not sure they'll last very much longer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back