Algae bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Isaac E

Reaction score
Hello! I’m new to this group and appreciate your acceptance. I’m no expert, but I need help and figured this was my best shot. I keep getting what seems like an Algae bloom. I’ve tried shutting the lights off and that worked once, chemicals and turning lights off, wrapped the tank for total darkness, changed to another tank and here it comes again. I boiled the gravel and scrubbed the ornaments in hot hot water outta the tank. The flake food is old but has been kept in the crisper( the big bag, I keep a smaller Tupperware container for to have a small bit out). Could it be the food is to old and breaking down?

Need more info before anything can really be said.

Can you post a photo of the tank when in bloom so it can be determined if it is algae or possibly a bacteria bloom?

What are the water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.?

How long has the tank been setup?

To add on to my post above I went back and read your initial post again. If you boiled the gravel and scrubbed other stuff in hot water you killed any good bacteria except what may or may not be in the tank's filter. It is VERY possible that you are actually seeing a bacteria bloom as the tank tries to do its nitrogen cycle again.

You also mention old food so I must assume that the tank is populated with fish. The food probably has an expiration date. Don't use if past or even close to this date.

We really, REALLY, need a tank photo.

Hello! I’m new to this group and appreciate your acceptance. I’m no expert, but I need help and figured this was my best shot. I keep getting what seems like an Algae bloom. I’ve tried shutting the lights off and that worked once, chemicals and turning lights off, wrapped the tank for total darkness, changed to another tank and here it comes again. I boiled the gravel and scrubbed the ornaments in hot hot water outta the tank. The flake food is old but has been kept in the crisper( the big bag, I keep a smaller Tupperware container for to have a small bit out). Could it be the food is to old and breaking down?
Welcome aboard.
You'll want to read up on cycling your tank. https://www.fishforums.net/forums/cycle-your-tank.291/

Basically, fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. But there are beneficial bacteria that live in a tank that process that ammonia. First, into nitrite then into nitrate, which is much less toxic. Cycling is the process of developing that bacteria, which is vital for your tank. You might be seeing a bacteria bloom. This is normal and it goes away on its own.
This bacteria live on the surfaces in your tank; the substrate, the ornaments, the filter media etc. You don't want to sterilize your gravel or ornaments because that kills the bacteria.

I am currently having the same problem. I have a 29 gallon Freshwater tank that has been running for about 6 to 7 months. I have gravel substrate, and a few live plants one of which I just introduced about a week ago. But I could see that my tank was getting foggy prior to introducing the new plant. I did a regular water change; about 30% and did a good vacuum of the gravel about 6 days ago. Tuesday it was getting cloudy and by Wednesday it was full-on pea soup.

My guess is that I cleaned it too well…? My beautiful golden mystery snail who I’ve had the longest, just died 😔. He was acting a little sluggish (no pun intended). I’ve kept an eye on him the last few days and found him shriveled up and unresponsive. 🐚

I quickly ordered a UV lamp. Just arrived today and it’s been in my HOB for about 5 hours so far.

1. Do you think this Algae bloom is caused by cleaning too much? Too well?
2. What are your thoughts or experience with the UV light?

I am so frustrated at this point, I want to just start over and do a full water change but I obviously don’t want to loose any of my fish.

🐟 Current occupants: 🐠
1 Golden dojo loach
12 White tip ornate tetras
3 mollies
3 fancy guppies
3 nerite snails. 🐌

It’s a great little community tank. All the fish get along amazingly.

Fist pic is from Sunday and this is my tanks the past 3 days 😩 A neon shade of murky green puke 🤮 I included a picture from the end of October when it was crystal clear.
I apologize about the long post. I wanted to add as much detail as possible. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• A4D01DE4-F019-448B-9454-217BADC1CE19.jpeg
    A4D01DE4-F019-448B-9454-217BADC1CE19.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 90C0DDBE-1DE2-4C91-B3FC-19330054ECD0.jpeg
    90C0DDBE-1DE2-4C91-B3FC-19330054ECD0.jpeg