Algae Bloom Or Bacterial Bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maxta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone got decent pictures of what both these things are. Preferably ones which are attached to the glass.

I have some sort of growth on the inside glass of my aquarium, more of them seem to be appearing, although quite small. There few dotted around the place which are a milimeter or two in width and height, but one is about 1cm each way.

Best description i have of it is it looks white/grey, fuzzy and i can see them wobbling.

I have my aquarium lights on about 2-4 hours in the morning, probably 8-10/12am, and then again from 5/6pm to about midnight. So roughly 8-12 hours each day. My tank is in my room which is usually the side that the sun is on, but it is never in direct sunlight because i close my blinds, however natural light does get into the room.

Iv had my tank four weeks, spent three weeks cycling it, had fish in it the last week. Up until yesterday i had a hagen sun glo bulb, but i just replaced it with a hagen power glo one which is purpley and promotes plant growth and brings out the colour of the fish apparently.

I have four plants and feed my fish twice a day which they usually eat fully over a couple of hours, feed them once in the morning and once at night.

Cant really get any good pictures of it, as my camera is terrible at close ups.

Im sure i seen someone post something before about loads of spots of stuff all over the inside glass of his tank, but cant seem to find it.

Can someone help me ID the problem based on what iv said, and what i should do?

i've read that it's an algae bloom if the water gets cloudier as the day goes on, but a bacterial bloom if the cloudiness stays the same throughout the day. this is assuming you have lights on the entire time.

could be either, pretty normal to have something like this in a newly cycled tank, hows your water parameters? could be a sign you need to do a water change

Im due a water change. Tested water few days ago and everything was a-okay! Will check again!

Should i wipe it off?

go for it, wipe it off before your water change, then if you get clumps of whatever it is floating round you can suck them up with your siphon. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back