Algae benefit

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jimmy74

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I usually scrape green algae off the back of my freshwater aquarium glass every couple weeks but I decided to let it grow out a bit. Does anybody know what I have have to look forward to? Does it turn brown, die off, then new growth? Does it get thick? Etc.

oh FYI it’s a petsmart complete setup with fairly bright lights and rthe green algae looks like your good old fashioned algae. Don’t know the name

Last edited:
I usually scrape green algae off the back of my freshwater aquarium glass every couple weeks but I decided to let it grow out a bit. Does anybody know what I have have to look forward to? Does it turn brown, die off, then new growth? Does it get thick? Etc.
I never clean the BACK glass of my tanks, nice place for infusoria to grow, and I don't look at it much

The algae just stays there and will remain whatever colour it is now. The only reason it will change is if the lighting times change, then less light will reduce the growth.

Algae is usually a plant and comes in different types.
Often, if conditions in your tank are good for algae, then you run the risk of encouraging some of the less desirable types.
(I say 'usually' a plant, because there is so-called blue-green algae, which is actually bacteria and blooms of this can be toxic).
Then there's brown algae, which is essentially diatoms. These are super-fine and tend to either form coats on your plants and fixtures, or can produce wispy cloud-like masses, wafting in the current.
Other algae is the easily recognised green hair algae, which shouldn't be an issue...and then black, or beard, algae, which often is.

All algae produces oxygen, in fact, diatoms produce something like 50% of the oxygen we breath.
Being plants, they can also participate and assist in the nitrogen cycle of our tanks.
...And algae makes great food for a variety of our fish and not just the so-called algae-eaters.

All algae can also become a nuisance in that it can foul the tank and your higher plants, your airstones and filters. It can also become unsightly, especially if you can't see the contents of your tank for the stuff. I've also found it to be a great visual indicator of the general health of my tank, although it is one of those things that will need regular maintenance and will appear, whether you want it to or not.

Going back to the black, black-beard, or beard algae, this is usually less useful than the green stuff and is the hardest to eradicate, especially since algae eaters won't usually touch it. It's as hard as nails and can quickly become a serious problem, smothering your higher plants. This stuff is actually a red algae and sticks to everything like muck to a blanket. As with all algae, too much can cause an imbalance in your ecosystem, with detriment to the fish.

Algae is usually a plant and comes in different types.
Often, if conditions in your tank are good for algae, then you run the risk of encouraging some of the less desirable types.
(I say 'usually' a plant, because there is so-called blue-green algae, which is actually bacteria and blooms of this can be toxic).
Then there's brown algae, which is essentially diatoms. These are super-fine and tend to either form coats on your plants and fixtures, or can produce wispy cloud-like masses, wafting in the current.
Other algae is the easily recognised green hair algae, which shouldn't be an issue...and then black, or beard, algae, which often is.

All algae produces oxygen, in fact, diatoms produce something like 50% of the oxygen we breath.
Being plants, they can also participate and assist in the nitrogen cycle of our tanks.
...And algae makes great food for a variety of our fish and not just the so-called algae-eaters.

All algae can also become a nuisance in that it can foul the tank and your higher plants, your airstones and filters. It can also become unsightly, especially if you can't see the contents of your tank for the stuff. I've also found it to be a great visual indicator of the general health of my tank, although it is one of those things that will need regular maintenance and will appear, whether you want it to or not.

Going back to the black, black-beard, or beard algae, this is usually less useful than the green stuff and is the hardest to eradicate, especially since algae eaters won't usually touch it. It's as hard as nails and can quickly become a serious problem, smothering your higher plants. This stuff is actually a red algae and sticks to everything like muck to a blanket. As with all algae, too much can cause an imbalance in your ecosystem, with detriment to the fish.
I did the whole new tank Cyanobacteria syndrome gig for a month or so but it’s well established now at 4-5 years. I got black beard which I think is cool.

Most reactions

trending

Back