Albino Cory's Loosing Eyes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Didge007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just had my 3rd albino cory die to losing eyes. The first one I managed to save, he died later on. The second one was only approx. a week ago when I had added my GBR to the 2ft tank. Automatically suspected the rams and shifted them into the 2.5ft. Both eyes had been lost. Last night I noticed a third albino with one eye :crazy: He died this morning. It couldn't have been the rams because they aren't in the tank.

The currently stocking of the 2ft is a 10cm (maybe smaller) BGK (this is not his permanent housing), three long finned peppered corys, 7 neons and now 1 albino cory (who looks like a cross with a bronze). None of the corys are fully grown and 6 of the neons were only added yesterday. Please help, is this a normal occurance for albinos? I don't think I will try my luck with them again as it's only the albinos I seem to have troubles with.

I've just had my 3rd albino cory die to losing eyes. The first one I managed to save, he died later on. The second one was only approx. a week ago when I had added my GBR to the 2ft tank. Automatically suspected the rams and shifted them into the 2.5ft. Both eyes had been lost. Last night I noticed a third albino with one eye :crazy: He died this morning. It couldn't have been the rams because they aren't in the tank.

The currently stocking of the 2ft is a 10cm (maybe smaller) BGK (this is not his permanent housing), three long finned peppered corys, 7 neons and now 1 albino cory (who looks like a cross with a bronze). None of the corys are fully grown and 6 of the neons were only added yesterday. Please help, is this a normal occurance for albinos? I don't think I will try my luck with them again as it's only the albinos I seem to have troubles with.

Rams don't do that, they are very peaceful. I didn't realize you could have Ghost knife fish in a community tank? Aren't they extremely aggressive and supposed to be kept as a species tank? At my lfs they are always labeled "proceed with caution". Albino corydoras are easy to keep so you can't blame it on difficulty. To rule it out, how are the water parameters? I've had albino corydora for years and have never had that happen to them.

When the rams were in that tank they decided they were going to breed on me. I watched them like a hawk and when I found the dead cory (was the 2nd one) I put them in a different tank as they'd gotten a bit aggressive (as expected). Since moving them they've shown no signs of breeding but I've never had to keep such a close eye on any of my fish :lol: My BGK has never shown any aggression other than he'll 'push' other fish out of the road. He may just be out growing his tank though which I'm expecting :/ I don't classify them as an aggressive species, he's just in the wrong tank. Can you tell he's one of my faves :D

Not sure on specifics as I don't own a test kit (they are stupidly expensive where I am). Considering none of my other fish have issues I'd say it's fine. Temp: 27 pH: approx. 6-7

BGK are known to eat the eyes out of fish. They are nocturnal predators with a weak electric sense that allows them to locate prey in the dark.

Don't rage on me but I really have to say to anyone that if you can't afford a test kit, you can't afford to have fish. You really have to consider the fact that it will pay for itself as it can and will prevent fish loss. Yes they are expensive but totally necessary. I still think your Knife fish is the culprit. They are not meant to be community fish. It's probably hunting for eyeballs at night when you can't see it. :devil: Then in the morning it looks all sweet and innocent. :angel:

Don't rage on me but I really have to say to anyone that if you can't afford a test kit, you can't afford to have fish. You really have to consider the fact that it will pay for itself as it can and will prevent fish loss. Yes they are expensive but totally necessary.

Yours and I'm sure many others opinion. Unfortunately, not my opinion. Thank you for your concern though. I am actually in the process of buying one, there are other bills that need to come first however.

BGK are known to eat the eyes out of fish. They are nocturnal predators with a weak electric sense that allows them to locate prey in the dark.

*sigh* Time to find yet another tank huh? :sad:

Thanks for your help guys. I didn't want to believe it was him but I suppose it certainly wouldn't be a rogue neon or anything lol.

I hope so! Lol. Would it be an idea to maybe put him in a fry net suspended in the tank? I was thinking it'd be too small though. He's approx. 10cm. I'm always careful to feed every day so he doesn't get an 'appetite' for the neons, but I like to only feed 6days a week also. I also find flakes don't fill him up :angry: So I have to feed certain food to that tank.

I will look online today (I'm off work due to a tummy bug - yuck!) for a cheap API test kit. Ebay over in Australia is basically hopeless I find but I'm not very patient lol.

Not game to look in that tank this morning but I will have to as I was worried about a neon last night :blink: I swear my horse is less stressful to look after!

I hope so! Lol. Would it be an idea to maybe put him in a fry net suspended in the tank? I was thinking it'd be too small though. He's approx. 10cm. I'm always careful to feed every day so he doesn't get an 'appetite' for the neons, but I like to only feed 6days a week also. I also find flakes don't fill him up :angry: So I have to feed certain food to that tank.

I will look online today (I'm off work due to a tummy bug - yuck!) for a cheap API test kit. Ebay over in Australia is basically hopeless I find but I'm not very patient lol.

Not game to look in that tank this morning but I will have to as I was worried about a neon last night :blink: I swear my horse is less stressful to look after!
bless ya hope you get better soon,fyi im just in bed lol.
fish can be very stress full but they are worth it lol

have you tried giving him live food once in a while?
bloodworm ect?

(im guessing you shud defo buy one tho)they pay for themselfs most certainly :good:

All my fish get frozen bloodworm once a week (amongst an array of other things). He's certainly not hungry the chubby little thing :grr: I've kept my eye open for somewhere that sells live food but they really only sell frozen and flaked/dried. I do know an online shop that sells blackworm...would he like that maybe? And could my other fish eat that?

Test kits....over $60 :sick: Think I just made myself feel worse!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back