Albino Corydoras Catfish Problems

Bobtastic

Fish Addict
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
742
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago we added four new cory's into our 110 litre tank, all started off alright as they were all flying round the tank like headless chickens continuously. But after a week two of them started to loose their vigour and they started to sit at the bottom of the tank most of the time in the corners. I did a large water change (50-60%) to see it this would help the two listless fish pick up a bit, and for one of them it helped a little bit. Unfortunately a couple of days later one of them died... I had a good look at the dead fish to see if there was any sign of illness but there was nothing.

A day or so after the one had died the other listless fish (previously improved) seem to decline again. We decided to pop down to our LFS and they suggested Interpet Anti Internal Bactrial. I wasn't too sure myself but as the misses pointed out it was worth a try. We followed the instruction and removed the carbon sponge/foam from the filter and added the recommended dose and after a short time the poorly looking fish seemed to pick up a bit. I must admit the ill looking fish was a lot darker in colour than his fellow cory's, which was one of the listed symptoms.

It's been 4days (due for an additional dose tonight) and the cory is still with us and is looking a lot happier! I would say that's a success for Interpet AIB, hopefully my little friend will be with us for a long time!

Just thought I would share my story. :good:
 
so you're left with 3 now?

You could always bump that number to 6, as they like to be in groups. It should show some increase in activity too.

Cory catfish are'nt the most active fish, and to tend to spend a fair amount of time just 'sitting' still
 
I was only basing their behaviour on the other two that seem to be moving around quite alot. I also took it as a bad sign when one of the ones that had been sat in the corner stopped moving altogether! ;)
 
Albino Cory's are so cute, i'm sorry that one died :( But glad to hear they are doing better. I agree with gaz, it might be an idea to buy another three if you can, they are much happier in a larger group.

What temp are you keeping them at? I found with mine they became really quiet last week, just resting in the corners, they were at 26, & I think it might have crept higher with the hot weather we had, i've slowly dropped the temp & they are now at 23 & much more active, it seems mine prefer the cooler temps.
 
Not 100% sure about the temp, I think it's around 25. I way look at dropping it a little. I plan to get a few more cory's (possibly of a different colour) but wanted to make sure that they were happy and well b4 introducing more potential victims! :good:
 
I was busy/out most of last night but when I checked on the little guy he was sat at the bottom of the tank again... Dosed with some more Anti Internal Bacteria meds as per instructions (2nd dose 4days later) but this morning he doesn't look any better... The other 2 cory's are still flying around the tank like nobodies business, but he's still sitting still.

I also tried dropping the temp by a couple of degrees as suggested above, but doesn't seem to have helped. Poor little begger....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top