Airpump Questions

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
792
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
I think my tank may be low on oxygen so i was thinking about buying an air pump but just have a few questions...

1) I have a well planted tank, by putting an airpump in and adding more oxygen am i risking there not being enough CO2 for the plants?
2) What size pump would I need for a 200 litre tank?
3) Can anyone recommend any good names of pumps for a 200 litre?
4) Just wondering about the general pros and cons to an air pump.

Thanks!!
 
it may seem a little off topic but what type of filtration do you have and where is the outlet positioned? i.e. above or below the water line
you'll find that by simply moving the outlet slightly above the water line you will make more o2 than an average air pump would, for a 200 litre
 
I have a fluval 305 (for up to 300litres) in a 200l tank. The outlet was too low, I have just today moved it up so the water's surface is breaking but was just wondering about the pros and cons of getting an airpump as well?

Thanks for the reply!
 
ok, well it isn't the air from the pump that casues the o2 in the tank its the surface movement that the bubbles create.
also the air pump will reduce CO2 levels in order to increase O2 levels
 
Unless your fish are gasping for air near the surface, you most likely have plenty of O2 in the tank. I run 2 fluvals on my 75 gallon and the outlets are about 3" below the surface, causing almost no surface movement and I have no O2 issues. if you tank is planted and the plants are growing, then you are getting O2 from them.

As for running an airstone, it can affect the growth of the plants. It will tell you on the box what size tank it's for and how many airstones it will run at what depth. From my experience though, those are generally not too accurate as mine have never run that many effectively. For brands, I would recommend Rena. They are more expensive but are extremely quiet. Cheaper pumps can be very noisy and annoying, especially if the tanks are in your bedroom or near where you are watching television.
 
My fish are gasping at the surface which is why i'm a little worried (and confused) maybe i'll see how it goes with my outlet higher as i don't want my plants to suffer and then come back to this question if the fish are still gasping!

Thanks for the replies!
 
One quick fix is to just dip some water from the tank and pour it back in to create a spash.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top