Air Stone change from Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rsylvander

Reaction score
Hello,

So, yesterday 7/17/22 we did a full tank clean. This time though we took out the filter system and replaced it with an air stone due to our cats continually using the filter as a watering dish. Prior to cleaning tank it had developed black algae almost every time we would clean it. I attributed that to the cats using it frequently. Spoke with a local pet shop and they were the ones that recommended the air stone in-lu of a filter system. However, since the change our fish has not moved very much and is just staying at the bottom of the tank. He (unsure of sex) just sits at the bottom of the tank and moves a little but not swimming around. I have added a PH balancer to help balance the water out, but no change in fishy. Our fish is a carnival fish (koi gold fish), he has lived through so much else that I am surprised to see him like this and would be very sad if this is what kills him. Please help!

Welcome to TFF!
Is this an internal sponge filter with an airstone?
How long has your tank been set up prior to the change?
What substrate do you have in the tank?
What are your water parameters?

Welcome to TFF. What size tank do you have? Did you cycle your tank? What are parameters including water hardness, PH, Ammonia, nitrates , and nitrites? Hopefully you have a test kit.

Hi thank you! Very new to TFF.
Also going to apologize as I am going to sound really dumb.

Tank is a 10 gallon tank.
No filter currently just the air stone (aquarium bubble stone is all the package says), as when I asked the pet shop he said we wouldn't need a filter.
We have this one for a year as we had to replace the first tank. We have had the fish for almost 4yrs.
Substrate??
Water Parameters as in what water do we use? If so, tap water and we test it and add what we need to.
Cycle tank? I do a full clean one to two months, but change out 1/2 to 3/4 tank of water every 2 weeks.

Substrate??
The bottom bits, gravel, sand etc

Water Parameters as in what water do we use? If so, tap water and we test it and add what we need to.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH via a test kit. Also GH and KH but these can usually be obtained from your tap water supplier
Cycle tank? I do a full clean one to two months, but change out 1/2 to 3/4 tank of water every 2 weeks.

If I understand correctly, it seems as if much of the beneficial bacteria in the old power filter media was removed when the old filter was removed. Some bacteria was probably left in substratum, decorations, etc., but perhaps not enough. Thus, you may be experiencing a new cycle and that may explain the stress on the fish.
Regardless, you will need some sort of media, such as a sponge connected to the airline, so that a new colony of BBacteria can be established. In the meantime, you would need to monitor parameters, specifically ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and perform water changes if any (except nitrate) is detected. The airline with air stone by themselves will not serve as media and wont sustain bacteria. An air-driven sponge filter may be enough (once seeded and fully developed), if you have few fish, dont overfeed, and change water (removing debris) regularly.
Good luck!

Since you did a full tank 'clean', and assuming you don't have a test kit, do the following:

Change 80% of you water with conditioned water daily.
Vacuum substrate when you change the water (WC). If bare bottom, remove any uneaten food, poop (or mulm as we call it) at each WC.
Feed minimally, your fish won't starve but ammonia and nitrite will kill it.
Get a test kit.
Disregard anything else you hear from that fish shop, or at least that employee
Goldfish are 'dirty' fish and will need a filter. I would look for an HOB filter , Aquaclear, as they are good units.

Ok, so I looked up the HOB filter and th
Since you did a full tank 'clean', and assuming you don't have a test kit, do the following:

Change 80% of you water with conditioned water daily.
Vacuum substrate when you change the water (WC). If bare bottom, remove any uneaten food, poop (or mulm as we call it) at each WC.
Feed minimally, your fish won't starve but ammonia and nitrite will kill it.
Get a test kit.
Disregard anything else you hear from that fish shop, or at least that employee
Goldfish are 'dirty' fish and will need a filter. I would look for an HOB filter , Aquaclear, as they are good units.
After looking it up that is what we had on prior, but that cats would use it as a waterer...that is why we were trying to get away from that. What is you take on Bio ball filters, would that work?

Ok, so I looked up the HOB filter and th

After looking it up that is what we had on prior, but that cats would use it as a waterer...that is why we were trying to get away from that. What is you take on Bio ball filters, would that work?
An HOB with a cover on the filter and the tank would probably solve the problem. If it doesn't, at least get a internal filter with a decent flow.
Aside: I don't think a sip or two from your cats is going to cause an issue.

An HOB with a cover on the filter and the tank would probably solve the problem. If it doesn't, at least get a internal filter with a decent flow.
Aside: I don't think a sip or two from your cats is going to cause an issue.
I will look into an internal filter. We do have a lid on the tank, bur the filter didn't have one...and I wish it was just a drink or two lol they drank it more like a water dish and wouldn't really touch their water dish.

It seems that all was good before pulling the original filtration... the store employee should be shot for advising to do this. The air stone is NOT filtration. All it does is make pretty bubbles and add a little oxygen to the water.

Since the filter was pulled just a day ago it may still be wet with live bacteria. Don't do this unless others with more knowledge agree but, if the filter media is still wet, you MAY be able to connect again.

As to the cats drinking I would have to guess that it is an external filter. Why not just put on a cover to keep the cats out? Just like with computers I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken. It seems that your tank was fine before removing the filter so I would have rather seen you solve the cat issue rather than messing with the ecology of the tank going with the KISS principle... Keep It Simple Stupid. Just like with Occam's Razor the simplest solution is usually the best.

Sigh... reading the above it almost seems like I am yelling at you. Please trust in that I am not doing so.

It seems that all was good before pulling the original filtration... the store employee should be shot for advising to do this. The air stone is NOT filtration. All it does is make pretty bubbles and add a little oxygen to the water.

Since the filter was pulled just a day ago it may still be wet with live bacteria. Don't do this unless others with more knowledge agree but, if the filter media is still wet, you MAY be able to connect again.

As to the cats drinking I would have to guess that it is an external filter. Why not just put on a cover to keep the cats out? Just like with computers I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken. It seems that your tank was fine before removing the filter so I would have rather seen you solve the cat issue rather than messing with the ecology of the tank going with the KISS principle... Keep It Simple Stupid. Just like with Occam's Razor the simplest solution is usually the best.

Sigh... reading the above it almost seems like I am yelling at you. Please trust in that I am not doing so.
Yes, I agree with things being fine with the old filter. I am looking at an internal filter now due to the cats. We have a lid on the tank itself, but i ended up going with an open face filter because the closed ones would not fit with the lid the tank came with. We had tried a closed top filter but it would just spill water over the lid on the tank. We looked for smaller ones, this is why we chose to get rid of that filter and go with the air stone. However, it would have been nice if that employee we spoke with knew what he was talking about. I called the shop last night and spoke with the manager. Luckily fish is swimming and moving around now. But thank you!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back