Air Pumps

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
7,580
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Leicestershire U.K
i have added a 12 inch air stone at the rear of my tank and connected it to an elite 802 pump. it has 2 outputs and when i connected just 1 to my stone it was very noisy so i put a t piece in and connected both outputs to 1 stone which has made it run quieter but the pump is still quite noisy, especially at night.....even though its supposed to be a very quiet pump. there is no flow control on this pump so its kicking out full power through the 12 inch stone which is churning up alot of rubbish in the tank. i paid about £23 for the pump and am not too impressed as i have since seen them on ebay for about £10, are there any quiet pumps and is it ok to use it as i am through 1 stone? again i have gone on the advice given through one of my lfs'.....

i can understand that an air pump will make some noise but this type is quite loud. does anyone have any advise on a quieter one as i could take the elite 802 back and exchange it.


Matt
 
i use tetratec and sometimes if its postitioned wrongley it will make a noise, but nothing over the top, and just moving it an inch will shut it up. gazgunman keeps his in an egg box i think.. he made something so that he couldnt hear a peep out of it, maybe send him a pm and ask him exactly what it was he used :)

shelagh xxx
 
just spotted a tetra 100 on ebay, new for £14 delivered. sounds a bargain compared to £23 for what i paid for my elite. think ill take it back and get one of them instead..... cant be any noisier....................... :good:
 
I asked this a while back and was told the rena ones are the quietest out there. Haven't bought one to test it myself though.
 
I have one that makes a terrible noise when set on as desk. I finally put a sock under it I cant even hear it anymore.


You can use a 2 way gang valve to regulate the air flow.
 
i ordered a terta 100 yesterday for £12.50 from ebay - bargain i thought. will post on here to let you all know if its any good!!!!!!! fingers crossed. it cant be any noisier than the elite i had.
 
gazgunman keeps his in an egg box i think.. he made something so that he couldnt hear a peep out of it, maybe send him a pm and ask him exactly what it was he used :)

shelagh xxx


yep I did, I imagine there is still noise coming from it, but its a small background hum I hardly hear. Infact the noise only really becomes apparent when I stick my head in the cabinet to retrieve something.

DSC_3731.jpg


Its just an old camera box, fitted with egg-box foam I nicked from an old gun case I had laying around, cut it to size then stuck it in place with sticky back tape
 
Thats the one I have jimmyringo and your right, unless I go and actually kneel down next to the tank, I cant hear it so no annoying buzzing when trying to watch football :lol:

Let us know how the pump is mattlee when you recieve it, if your not happy iI'd defo recommend the eheim one, and from charterhouse aquatics, its only £4 more than you paid for the one off ebay :good:

Andy
 
I also have a Ehiem air pump and find it very quiet. I bought a Eheim 3701 off ebay but got sent a Eheim 3702 which means I got 2 outlets instead of 1! 'm certainly not complaining! The Eheim 3702 has rubber feet on it which dampes any vibrations, I can hear the bubbles getting "caught" under my bogwood escaping over the noise of the actual pump!
 
tetra 100 turned up today, and now fitted i cant hear it at all :good: not as much air flow as the elite but i think that had a bit too much without fitting a valve. i am ver pleased with it and can hear the tv again and hopefully get some sleep without thinking there are giant bees downstairs......

maybe getting carried away but its very quiet and does a great job :good:

thanks for all your advice, Matt
 

Most reactions

Back
Top