Air pump - turned off at night?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

C

Clufish

Does anyone turn off the air pump at night - mine is really noisy and i'm really tempted to turn it off. Do you think my fish can last without the bubbles for a few hours? :unsure:

If the air pump is only driving an airstone then most probably it will be ok. The bubbles simply keep the surface water moving, they do not really oxygenate the water directly. As long as you are not overstocked, and there is some surface movement, airstones are not necessary.

If the air is operating a filter of some kind, then no, you should not turn it off. The bacteia in the filter will die after a few hours and you will need to cycle your tank again.

maybe you need to buy a better pump :)
i have a really nosiy one so i got rid of it, and spent a little extra money ad now i dont here them.

But as Lateral Line if its only powering and airstone it should be fine to turn in off over night. But if its running a UGF i would leave it on, or as i sais get a better one :D

i know this sounds like a really stupid question but have u got it underwater (if it's an underwater filter that sticks to the side of ur tank)? coz my dumba$$ lfs guy i originally went to told me my powerhead underwater filter was not to be used underwater under any circumstance (top was meant to be above water) :S well that was soooooo noisy & woke me up like 4 or 5 times a night till i went to my new guy who assured me it was made to go underwater - it is so much quieter now!!

Its only used as an airstone. I have it insulated with a sock :lol: i know it sounds silly... It has nothing to do with my filter - so it should be ok to turn off :cool:
I'm not to sure what the name is but it wasn't the cheapest in the shop. It's grey with a green button on the top (the button is only there for decoration)
Maybe it is quiet and i'm just a really light sleeper.. my boyfriend always gives out about it :grr:

I've got that pump for my 4 gal and its powering a UG filter. I turn it off at night so my betta can build his bubble nest! I can't remember what the pump is called aswell but your right about it being cheap. Be careful when covering pumps as it has to draw air in and if it can't it will burn out and may even create a fire hazard :(

i turn mine off at night, but i have fluval 4 filter runninh constant so they will be ok.

Clufish - I know exactly the air pump you mean. I can't remember the make but it is the noisiest air pump I have ever had. I only use mine to aereate salt water that I am making up for water changes. You might be able to make it a bit quieter if you can find some rubber feet that you can use to build up so that the little hard spikey legs are off the surface - make sure you don't cover the inlet holes though.

DrOizo - I would be a bit concerned about switching of the pump over night if it is powering an UGF. The bacteria in the gravel need oxygenated water in order to survive and do their work, if you switch the air pump off then there won;t be any flow. Is the UGF the only filtration?

Cheers, Eddie

i have a rena 100 and 300 my 100 IS SO LOUD!!! its on its way out i guess, i use a bike hemlet to stop the sounds :D works well!

:kana: Yes, you can turn it off at night with no problem. I do on one of my tanks where it is just powering an airstone.

EddieW said:
DrOizo - I would be a bit concerned about switching of the pump over night if it is powering an UGF. The bacteria in the gravel need oxygenated water in order to survive and do their work, if you switch the air pump off then there won;t be any flow. Is the UGF the only filtration?

Cheers, Eddie
Thats an interesting point. My Ug filter is the only filter for this 4 gal. With the pump on all day I see no problem with turning it off at night. Bacteria needs water (Still there) oxygen (the oxygen level is not going to plummet to un acceptable levels in one night) and a flow of water over the bacteria (this is not there, but I don't see how bacteria can die in 12hours when they've still got water food and oxygen?? :( Please correct me if i'm wrong. I was thinking about putting in a little bio wheel but as many people don't even heat there bettas I think mines doing ok with his filtration and heating :D

It sounds like a HAGEN ELITE i also have one which is very noisy, im going to buy an Interpet Airvoluation or something.

I had the noisiest air pump ever made. It was so loud you could hear it in the next room. I put a mouse pad from my computer under it and that seemed to stop it from walking around the counter but it was still loud. I just threw it out and spent the 15 or 20 bucks to get one that was quiet.

i have a realy noisy one for my guppy tank so i put it on a soft foam pad it dont make a sound now

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back