Air/oxygenation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mbuna Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi.

I have just installed my new Juwel vision 260 aquarium and filled it and turned on my filter.

Because the filter is under the water should i not be looking to oxygenate the tank as well or have i set up wrong.The filter is working fine but no air is being generated,i this a potential problem as i want to keep both live plants and fish.

I know it may be a simple question but on my previous time keeping fish i always had an external pump but as the Juwel comes all complete it has me a little foxed.

Dave.

i have never had/used a juwel aquarium, so i don't know whether you have set up the filter correctly or not. however in order to oxygenate the water you need movement at the surface, usually a current which slightly breaks the surface of the tank.

air pumps and bubble stones etc are more aesthetic than beneficial, however if you do not have any surface movement it may be a good idea to use one just to help.

kat :)

Hi.

I have just installed my new Juwel vision 260 aquarium and filled it and turned on my filter.

Because the filter is under the water should i not be looking to oxygenate the tank as well or have i set up wrong.The filter is working fine but no air is being generated,i this a potential problem as i want to keep both live plants and fish.

I know it may be a simple question but on my previous time keeping fish i always had an external pump but as the Juwel comes all complete it has me a little foxed.

Dave.

I have a Fluval 2 Plus filter. I had the same worry as you (as the outlet sits a cm 'under' the water surface. It does not 'break' the surface with 'bubbles' but does 'ripple' it quite heavily - which I've been told is sufficient. (The Fluval does come with an 'above the water' mini spray jet attachment - but I've been told on this forum that it doesn't do much apart from make more noise).

Thanks guys.

I went to my lfs and had a look around.I noticed that there is an attachment for the Juwel filter which sucks air in through the outlet and thus generating bubbles on the outlet flow.So i bought it fitted it to the filter and it works a treat.

Now why didnt it come with this attachment in the first place especially as it only cost £2.99?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back