Air Bubbler - Just Wanted To Share.

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
I have often commented on airstone/bubblers for the purpose of adding oxygen to the water as un-needed.

The gas transference, as we know, takes place at the water's surface. The bubbles are not in the water long enough for gas transference to have much effect, it is just the surface agitation they cause that increases the surface area thus increasing the transference area that benefits the tank.

Now then, lake Tanganyika is a very oxygen rich lake so a Tanganyikan aquarium must be also oxygen rich for them to thrive. Mine was to be no exception

I had a root around in my box (yes, we all have one don't we :lol: ) and not only did I find an ancient pump complete with piping but also an airstone some 8" long. Well, after moving some of my hollow rock I buried the airstone, placed the rocks over and switched on.

What a bonus! At first just a couple of continuous bubbles at the back then after about 30 seconds or so a load of bubbles emitted from the holes drilled in the rocks in all different places. Then it stopped and as the air built up again, it happened again. Looks and sounds great!

My thinking is that it must be working like CO2 injection where you use ladders and wheels to hold the gas under water for longer to allow transference. The air builds up inside the rocks keeping it in contact and under slight pressure untill it reaches an escape hole then releases. Either way the fish just seem a lot more active, the tank 'feels' healthier and another bonus is no protein hanging on the surface.

One last thing, as I am sure you have better things to do than listen to my ramblings, I set it on the light timer so at lights out so is the blower so the fish get a rest from it.

I am an airstone convert (for my sins) :fun:
 
Is Gordon Brown related to Mr. Obama?

Would the fish be more active due to higher oxygen content or because the turbulence from the bubbles annoy them?
 
could'nt you you have a 'T' piece with adjuster valve and run another pipe to a co2 diffuser(laddertype) and have it 1 bubble per second, surely that will keep the bubble in the water longer for absorbtion,

My 2 pence lol

Jake
 

Most reactions

Back
Top