Air Bubble Mystery

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

baz_78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Nothing too urgent (I hope), but I noticed last night when I went to feed my fish that there were lots of little air bubbles floating on top o the water in my tank.

Just wandered what the reason could be for this and if I need to worry- I've not noticed it before.

Thanks for any advice!
Barry

Im pretty sure that is usually a sign of poor water quality, have you tested the water?

Haven't tested the water yet - what should be looking out for?

Should I be changing my water twice a week instead of just once? Or will this be too much?

If you have very litt;e surfave irigation you can get a thilm on the water that can trap the o2 bubbles from plants of nitrogen gass from anarobic area in your substrate (gravel) or under rock wood and decore.

If the latter for the two a good gravel vac is in order, and maybe point the filter out let to the water surface to increase surface irigation to help the gas escape.

If the latter for the two a good gravel vac is in order, and maybe point the filter out let to the water surface to increase surface irigation to help the gas escape.

Thanks for the tip about the filter. I've got a good gravel vac/syphon (sp) for my water changes. I'll see how things go over the coming weeks.

Could also be a build up in protein. In a marine tank they use protein skimmers. In a freshwater tank you just skim off the slime at the surface of the water when you do your regular water change.

What size tank is it and what and how many fish do you have in the tank and what filter do you use?

if you have bubbles on the surface of the water and they don't break on their own, it is almost always ammonia in the water.

Another possibility is tannins, in any of my tanks that are moderatley or more effected by tannins (medium to strong tea colour) I get alot of bubbles sticking around

Andrew

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back