Aggressive fish weird behavior

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SaveTheEarth

Reaction score
View attachment 92025 Whats goin on everyone! Just recently started my freshwater aquarium and I've definitely been going through some bumpy roads , but more recently I've had this strange occurrence.The setup i had was a pink kissing gourami with an angelfish and some other random fishes in here, now for some reason the pink gourami started getting REALLY aggressive and nipping at alot of fish even my tiger barbs.! Now it looked like the angelfish couldn't take it anymore and just stopped fleeing. He kinda just sat there and took it endless nipping i couldn't bare to watch! and to make it worst the tiger barbs joined in like some sort of feast.!!!!! I couldn't bare to see this happen anymore so i took my angel in to my local fish store so he could live a better life. Now heres were it gets weird . It seems without the angel now the gourami has no1 to pick on nd has suddenly just stopped being active. It doesn't swim around anymore like it used to it doesn't bother my tetras like it used to it kinda jus floats at the top all sad like if i took his meal away . Its soooooo confusing! Why would my fish get depressed for not having a fish to pick one ‍♂️!? Now thats just one of my issues! (Yea theres more boys nd girls)

I had also just picked up this beautiful wait hold on BEAUTIFUL! Paradise fish really nice orange, it was super active in the tank it wouldn't pick on any fish at all in the tank, it actually somehow made the pink gourami stop picking on other fish somehow. But then literally the next morning he was just floating up top of the corner and since then he's been plain and simple dead without being dead! He lays on the floor on his side he went missing for the whole morning i assumed he died in this log ornament i have since i couldn't find him anywhere. And guess what? Boom he comes back out of nowhere!! Now he still does the same lays on the floor or hides under ornaments but randomly comes up to the top of the tank for air and swims around for a little then either floats to the top lifeless or to the bottom. Still holding on somehow not dead at all just seems like it. SCRATCH ALL THAT UPDATE GUYS I JUS SEEN SOMETHING THAT DOESNT LOOK TOO GOOD I WILL UPLOAD THE PHOTO IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED HIS BEHAVIOR IS STILL THE SAME LOOKS LIKE A RED MARK ON HIS BODY AND TAILFIN LOOKS STRIPPED OR ROTTED

This is really stressing me out guys i have no idea whats been goin on all the other fish have been in there perfectly fine for more than 2weeks i think actually I'm going on a month. Any help would be really appreciated.

Ive talked to multiple pet stores and done a bunch of research but the internet is so conflicting!

I mean i can also just be over reacting and paranoid i just don't want to be a bad fish keeper.

Also i should mention this whole time my ammonia levels have been around the 0.50 line, i have been doing water changes of about 25/30% i have vacuum the gravel i have also used Ammo lock!

Now for the Science!

Ammonia--Actually between 0.50/1.0

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Total Hardness(gh) 75
Total Alkalinity 40
pH- FRESHWATER 6.8

The problem is that you have fish together that are not at all compatible. The fish store clearly does not know what they are talking about if this mix of species was their advice.

First, the Kissing Gourami is an aggressive fish and it gets very large, up to 12 inches (30 cm) so it needs a very large tank (minimum 90 gallon, no idea your tank's size). Not a good general community fish. It may be kept in large aquaria with some of the larger barbs, non-aggressive cichlids, catfish such are the loricariids, etc. It should be kept in small groups to confine the aggression to conspecifics. As it grows it will eat fish smaller than itself, and consume the softer aquarium plants. Your KG clearly took its aggression out on the angelfish which is not surprising.

Different species of gourami (anabantids) generally do not belong together. Paradise Fish (an anabantid) is not going to get along with the KG so that explains another problem.

Tiger Barbs are naturally aggressive and must never be combined with sedate fish or those with long fins. Cichlids (angelfish) and gourami are poor tankmates for most barbs and certainly never with Tiger Barbs, so that is another problem. The chemical signals these fish send out that are read by the other fish can be as stressful as actual physical agression.

Until you separate these fish you will not have healthy fish and they will be stressed and eventually die prematurely.

You say the Paradise Fish is beautiful? Beautiful does not do justice to these exquisite fish. Keep them by themselves in a heavily planted tank with multiple hideouts. A single male and maybe three females. They are the most beautiful of all anabantids. Just keep in mind that they are the Klingons of the labyrinth fishes.

Most reactions

trending

Back