Aggressive dangerous dog in my neighborhood.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Pit Bulls are not born vicious...no domesticated dog is.

Yes they all have a "wild flight or fight" genetic make up but it always takes the actions of a human to instill and reinforce that behaviour.

The way a dog gets to that stage is brutal abusive treatment by an owner/trainer

Pits have got a truly terrible reputation, here in the UK they (and so-called pit type) dogs are banned

Sadly they are often owned by those who have a degree of criminality in their background, they are bought as status symbols...afterall a full grown Pit looks the business when it comes to being intimidating.

The fighter bloodlines are highly valued.

The problems start when they are puppies. Ears cut back, often with scissors and without care or anaesthetic or clean conditions. As they grow up, they are pumped full of growth hormones and steroids. Made to run on treadmills for several hours every day, fed ultra high protein food and usually trained to fight by putting them against timid dogs often stolen from the neighbourhood and used as bait dogs and they get beaten daily to make them "mean". This is their life until they either die in the ring or die through incidents as you describe @mjfromga

People try to rehab/rehome Pits, I have done so myself, but they are not "family" orientated, they should never be off a leash and should always be muzzled when out and about.

The people (and I use people loosely since they are the lowest of the low imho) behind this barbaric trade in breeding and fighting Pits have signed the dog's death certificate before its 6 months old.

I am pleased that your dog survived. That is a rarity tbh.

The dog that attacked and subsequently died is now out of its suffering. Shelters in the US an elsewhere will never rehome a Pit or Pit type cos they almost always eventually fall into the wrong hands. The dog which attacked was not born to be that way. It was beaten, abused, injected to be that way. Dog fighting is a disgusting, cruel crime. Those dogs never recover and barely make it past their 4th or 5th year. It isn't their true nature, they are not born that mean spirited...humans make them that way from 4 to 6 weeks old. They stand no chance of being real dogs when born into a dog fighting kennel.

Everyone has differing opinions when it comes to pit bulls. While I agree that they aren't BORN aggressive, I also firmly believe that REGARDLESS of how they are reared, they are more prone to aggression than most other breeds. I understand many do not agree with that, and that is their prerogative... but that is my stance. The less of them I see, the happier I am. I do NOT agree with killing them all etc. I just kinda wish they fell out of favor enough to where they became extremely unpopular. They kill them in shelters here by the hundreds. Nobody wants them and they have trouble rehoming them.

A vicious pit bull got out of control and dashed into my yard and attacked my then 14 year old dog. The owner was unable to do anything. He went trying to kick his own dog to stop it, which only made things worse.

He was told to move aside... and a gun was retrieved from a nearby vehicle and as soon as a steady aim could be obtained between the fighting dogs, his dog was fatally shot. We were not about to further risk our dogs life by trying to manually stop this assault. Check YouTube, generally manual attempts at stopping enraged fighting grade pit bulls is useless.

The attacker was still was able to rip my dogs mouth open and everything. He couldn't eat properly for weeks. This type of thing should not be acceptable. Had the attack been brought to authorities, the dog would have been euthanized anyway and HE would have been fined. He completely understood the situation and apologized for the injuries inflicted on my dog.

Vicious animals should not be kept as pets PERIOD and if they are, they should NEVER be allowed to get out of control. They kill people and other animals when it happens.

Last edited:
Everyone has differing opinions when it comes to pit bulls. While I agree that they aren't BORN aggressive, I also firmly believe that REGARDLESS of how they are reared, they are more prone to aggression than most other breeds. I understand many do not agree with that, and that is their prerogative... but that is my stance. The less of them I see, the happier I am. I do NOT agree with killing them all etc. I just kinda wish they fell out of favor enough to where they became extremely unpopular. They kill them in shelters here by the hundreds. Nobody wants them and they have trouble rehoming them.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I learned a method for separating canines once an attack is occurring, especially if one dog is "locked on" to the other. I found this since back then I used to frequent dog parks. Over time I came to realize that about 80% of the owners there have no command of their dog and don't notice the small signs that trouble may be coming. Most the time not even paying attention to their dog. So I now stay as far away as possible.

The technique is fairly simple, though it does require the aggressor be wearing a collar. With your palm facing skyward, slide your 4 fingers under the collar, on top of the neck, fingertips facing the top of the head. Gasp collar and lift forward and up, whilst twisting your wrist. Hard. Cuts off blood flow to the brain and dog will lose consciousness in about 5sec. Just make sure to let go when it does. Seems brutal, but far better than death of one or the other!

As much as I regret it, I also agree that Pitbulls are more prone to aggression. While humans are to blame for that (they bred them intentionally for those specific traits) and the kinds of homes they grow up in does play into their aggression, when it comes to safety does that really matter? When you have a dog so capable of so much harm or damage, whether they're friendly or not, by choosing to have that dog, you need to recognize what it is capable of and be responsible for it. The thing that is so absolutely infuriating about most (not all) pitbull owners I have met is that they are so caught up trying to prove that pitbulls don't deserve their reputation, that they throw caution and safety to the side. We have this neighbor who has a pitbull, and he walks his dog off leash through the neighborhood, letting the dog run through everyones yards. Several neighbors have spoke up and let him know it makes them uncomfortable, not because he is a pitbull but because he is a dog. The man just assures them he is friendly, would never bite anyone! He is so concerned proving a point that he isn't willing to admit the fact that he has a dog, capable of hurting someone. We have australian shepherds, corgis, and an english cream retriever, all the sweetest dogs. Never bit anyone. But when we are out in public and someone asks to pet them, my mom says "I'm sorry, no." because even though she knows her dogs, she recognizes the fact that she has no way of knowing how they would react in any given circumstance, because they are animals. No matter how well you know your dog, you can't predict their behavior. If a dog doesn't even know its own triggers, how are you supposed to be able to, with the limited senses of a human?
If you are going to bring a dog into your home, take it out in public, no matter what breed it is, you need to recognize the fact that it is an animal and recognize the harm they can do, and be responsible for it.

@Utar I am so sorry about what happened to your dogs, that is so horrible. You should be able to let your dogs out in your own yard without that happening :no:

I stand by my statements 100%. Anybody is allowed to disagree but I firmly believe that pit bulls are more prone to aggression REGARDLESS of how they are reared. You can't train many breeds to fight and kill people and animals the way pit bulls do (bite, hold, shake without mercy) because they don't have it in them. You can abuse many breeds badly (happens all the time) and it doesn't turn them into child and other animal killing monsters because the dog doesn't have it in them. You may kick a pit bull ONCE for something and next time he sees you, he may decide to kill you. Had two more pit bulls attack the same dog and my brother struck that animal with a TIRE IRON about 10 times and it didn't FAZE the dog. You literally had to see it to believe it. A human or normal dog would have been killed by those blows easily. It is hard to even call some pit bulls DOGS when you see things like that, see them SHOT and burned and everything else and NOT STOP ATTACKING. They are more akin to MONSTERS at that point- not dogs!

Again, I do not advocate for killing them all off like many "anti pit bull" people do... I simply don't see WHY people continue to try to keep these animals as pets. There are so many calmer and smarter breeds to own. We don't ever need to hear "But she never would hurt anybody...." after yet ANOTHER pit bull attack. It is purely FALSE that all or even most pit bull attacks are by fighting grade dogs. They're usually just someone's aggressive by nature pit bull that has gotten out of their control. I just wish they would go away. There's just no reason to own that breed in my eyes. Plenty will disagree but that's just my opinion.

High kill shelters, yes, but not humane society, which is like most shelters across the US and UK
Hopefully you don't think that every animal brought to a "no kill" shelter gets to live or gets a home. This is not at all how it works. "No kill" shelters often have stringent rules on the types and temperaments of the animals they will take. They often reject aggressive or very sick or old animals. They often reject pit bulls or other dogs they deem too hard to rehome. The local pounds here are loaded with unwanted and unclaimed pit bulls, why would the "no kill" shelters in areas with this type of overpopulation accept a lot of pit bulls? They already know they can rehome only a very small percentage. People often fear pit bulls they didn't raise because their temperaments can be so volatile... so they are hard to place.

The dogs that are rejected by the "no kills" are sent to standard shelters. Or the "no kill" MAY accept the dogs and eventually send them there themselves. But "no kill" shelters definitely don't save anywhere near the number of lives that you think. Especially not in certain areas.

Hopefully you don't think that every animal brought to a "no kill" shelter gets to live or gets a home. This is not at all how it works. "No kill" shelters often have stringent rules on the types and temperaments of the animals they will take. They often reject aggressive or very sick or old animals. They often reject pit bulls or other dogs they deem too hard to rehome. The local pounds here are loaded with unwanted and unclaimed pit bulls, why would the "no kill" shelters in areas with this type of overpopulation accept a lot of pit bulls? They already know they can rehome only a very small percentage. People often fear pit bulls they didn't raise because their temperaments can be so volatile... so they are hard to place.

The dogs that are rejected by the "no kills" are sent to standard shelters. Or the "no kill" MAY accept the dogs and eventually send them there themselves. But "no kill" shelters definitely don't save anywhere near the number of lives that you think. Especially not in certain areas.
I've heard usually they go to foster homes, I might be wrong, sorry.

And I'm sorry but aggressive dogs that maul other peoples animals or attack humans need to be put down. When those two dogs attacked my dog... at the time I didn't have a firearm and my brother only had a tire iron. When animal control was called and they caught the dogs, I personally went and made sure they were put down. There is no reason to try and bring a vicious animal like that back around. The risk is too great in my opinion. I will never advocate for "retraining" animals that have inflicted severe bite wounds upon another being. Never.

And I'm sorry but aggressive dogs that maul other peoples animals or attack humans need to be put down. When those two dogs attacked my dog... at the time I didn't have a firearm and my brother only had a tire iron. When animal control was called and they caught the dogs, I personally went and made sure they were put down. There is no reason to try and bring a vicious animal like that back around. The risk is too great in my opinion. I will never advocate for "retraining" animals that have inflicted severe bite wounds upon another being. Never.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but I don't get why Pitbulls and Rotwillers are the bad guys in the dog community. In 2019, the most dog attacks were Golden Retrievers and Labs. It's just... Stupid to me. Their not bad dogs, no dog is a bad dog. IMO, Pitbulls are one of the friendliest dogs, we just don't give them a chance. When I get older I want to start a breed-only shelter for pitties. Honestly, you can just look at The Dodo's Pittie nation (linked below) and see how abanded and cruel we are to them, It's heartbreaking. Not that Pitbulls are the only abused and abanded breed, I just think it happens more often. A pitty on my Petfinder was on a chain outside for four years and now has a permit chain mark around her neck and is deaf. Also, if you go to the filter and press "30+ days on Petfinder" it's full of Pitbulls because nobody wants them. I just hate it.

It isn't that they are the bad guys at all. It is that they can be dangerous. These breeds were bred to kill, kill other dogs, and these breeds have killed humans. They do deserve a chance, but only to some extent. They can be the world's best family dog, like any other breed, but they are more unpredictable than other breeds, making it much harder for families to adopt them. It is their risk factor keeping them in shelters, not the individual dog. It isn't fair to the dog, I agree. It isn't fair that they were born because a careless owner didn't have their dogs neutered, it isn't fair that cruel humans bred them to kill, and it isn't fair that all pit bulls are stereotyped like that. They don't deserve it by any means, it is heartbreaking. I agree with you there, and I think it is awesome that your family was able to give a wonderful pit bull a wonderful home!

so they shouldn't be given a second chance in a better home?
At the point that they attack it isn't that the dog doesn't deserve a chance, it is that for the safety of all those they come in contact with, the best choice is euthanizing them. Who would take an aggressive dog? Maybe you, but to what extent? At the point they become a danger, it is time for them to say goodbye.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back