Aggression Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I haven't had an ahli, but have read that they can be very temperamental and can be very mean if they are the dominant fish in the tank. It's not advisable or recommened to try them in less than a 4 foot tank.

Here's something from cichlid forum:

"Not only can a male fryeri be harassing to their females, but many just can't seem to stop there. Certainly they are a playboy of Lake Malawi, and they seem to take a liking to other species females, with a particular fondness to Aulonocara's. It isn't an unusual story to hear that a male fryeri has eliminated his "rival" in an Aulonocara male, in order to spawn with the Aulonocara females. Take care with what you mix this fish with, and do be careful with other species fry in this tank, as we do like to discourage hybridization of this type"

An Ahli will be dominated by most Mbuna species unless its a full grown adult, which are seldom seen in LFS, its normally just juvies. Not a good combination i'm afraid - your Kenyi and Maingano would give it a hard time.

CCCCCRRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!! I loved this species. I am assuming it will be like my red peacock with aggression?

The body shape is like the peacock. Will it work if the ahli are bigger than peacocks? I am determined to get these.
The peacock was a bit shy at first and he got beat up on a bit but now he's great!
And the pseudo aurora dominates the tank right now. The kenyi and maingano are being pretty submissive

My tank sizes:

red zebra - almost 1"

yellow lab - almost 2"

female blue/red peacock - almost 2"

male kenyi - slightly over 1"

electric blue maingano - slightly over 1"

Pseudo aurora male - almost 2"

pseudo aurora female 1"

pseudo acei - slightly over 1"

pseudo acei - 1"

BUT CAN THEY EAT GUPPIES!? Jk. Yeah i agree your Kenyi and Maingano will most likely cause problems.

most likely being 40/60 would a male female pair stop them from getting picked on more or anything.

I'm determined. Are there any other beautiful blue fish that would go with my mbuna? Looking at deep blue like ahli.

most likely being 40/60 would a male female pair stop them from getting picked on more or anything.

Not sure what you mean? I mean i guess if they were breeding then they might make hell for everything else in your tank. I really wouldnt advise it. As for your other blue fish. Let me get back to you, but im sure theres PLENTY.

Blue dolphins work?? But they still don't have the nice deep blue.

Also I'm looking at a white cichlid. What would work in my tank? I don't care if it's albino or not.

Would an ice blue red top work?

Would Ice blue red tops do well in my tank??

Would snow white socoloffi be okay in my tank??

I'm not sure what an Ice Blue Red Top is for sure. :S I like to deal w/scientific names. Is it Metriaclima Greshaki? I think they'd be alright. Remember though, metriaclima and pseudotrophus are among the more aggressive genus in general. :)

I think the socolofi would be alright. And they are a nice blue sheen. Remember about 19 fish is the max. They are small now, but will grow up.

To sum it up, both species would work :)

Just pointing out that bala sharks get to 12" long. I see they are listed in your 30 gallon tank. I don't mean to take a bash at you, just wanted to let you know.

I know bala's get big but it does take a while I also know ID sharks get big.

And yes, it is Metriaclima Greshakei.

Yea, I found this local guy that breeds cichlids and he says he has

20 kenyi 2"
18 Metriaclima Greshakei 2"
and some assorted haps

Would haps work? Oh and KJ I'm only trying to get 15 fish in there not 19.

Bala and ID sharks!! Im not even going to get started on this with you again. Just get rid of them.

Can someone answer my previous questions in stead of telling me to get rid of all my fish even though at the moment and for a while they will work!!!!

I dont understand why people get fish temporarily. Unless you have definitive plans to be able to properly home they fish then why get them to begin with. For your question yes. Try Venustus i have had very good sucess with them.\

Scratch that they might be too large for your tank.

I didn't know about balas and IDs getting too big until I got them so now I will temporarily home them but I hope to keep my cichlids until adults. I'm not getting venustus they grow 10"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back