African Dwarf fungus has gotten bad...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ash Paws

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, this probably isnt an emergency but I am very concerned

My African dwarf's fungal infection on his head has gotten bigger and it grew over one of his eyes, blinding him.

I have been doing the methylene treatment for almost two days now, one of the masses came off, thank goodness, but one of them got bigger and grew over Neptune's eye.

Should I just go on with the treatment or try something else?
Thank you!

Could I get a picture? If the mass is an actual mass rather than a bit of fungus then M. Blue probably won't cure it.

Here is a picture:
upload_2018-6-9_21-14-41.png

It is weird because he had 2 lumps on his head, one on his nose, on above his eye. the one on his nose turned white an fluffy. i treated it with M. blue and it came right off a little later. this however is really concerning me. he has also been hanging out of the water a lot recently, not sure why. as you can see in the photo he is sitting on the thermometer. normally he also sits on top of the heater or floats by the filter.

It could be the skin reacting or being stained by the Methylene Blue. Whilst Methylene Blue is a relatively safe treatment, it does stain the skin and could irritate the skin.

Does the frog show any stress where the Medication is being applied, eg: is it constantly wiping its head or acting unusual?

Maybe stop treatment and see how it goes over the next few days.

Okay, I will stop and see what happens.

Besides jumping a bit while I take him out of the water, Neptune seems fine with the treatment and is actually relatively relaxed when i put on the methylene blue.

Okay, this is bad. the mass grew over both his eyes. He is blind.

Its not really a mass anymore, just a white covering. I don't know what to do!

It's probably excess mucous. Do a big 75% water change and gravel clean the tank and see how it is tomorrow.

I did a water change, I don't know what to do now I'm not sure if he'll be alive tomorrow. is there anything else i can do? the mass that was on his head has clouded over his whole face. please help!

Edit: we moved Neptune into a container because he was getting tossed around by the filter; he can't see at all but he is doing good in still waters.

Last edited:
he is also having symptoms of chytrid, like hanging out of the water a lot and trying to jump out, when he was in the tank.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-10_19-8-16.png
    upload_2018-6-10_19-8-16.png
    86 KB · Views: 201
Check the water quality in the tank and maybe do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate.

You may as well treat the container it is in with Methylene Blue. Just use the recommended dose on the bottle.
Change all the water in its container each day and wipe the inside of the container down each day. Keep it in Methylene Blue for a week and see how it goes.

Unfortunately that's all I can suggest at this stage.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back