african dwarf frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i was thinking about getting an african dwarf frog but dont know much about them if anyone can provide mne with info it would be appreciated
tank size,food,compatibility,etc.

If you look under the topics for invertebrates and amphibians you will find the info you need.

get 2! everyone needs a bud. B) I've had two in a 75 g with gourmais and kuhli loaches for about a year now and they are so much fun and add a lot of interest to the tank. :wub: They usually sit peeking out from a cave under one of the logs they hollowed up for their home. It's incredibly cute how they swim when they go up for air about every 3 minutes or so. I feed frog pellets that sink quickly and have a strong odor b/c they need to smell their food to locate it. The funniest thing they do is spread out all four like a parachute and float mid-water. (i call it their zen state)

Do be careful with what tank mates they would have. Some could take a liking to frog legs. :blink: They get along fine with the gourmais who are much bigger but leave them alone. They're also good with tetras.

well i dont think im gonna get one anytime soon maybe ill get a couple for my 10gal thats gonna be freed up im planning on putting plants to cover the back and gonna put a black marble angel in there and maybe get a cpl frogs. i dont know what else ill put in there. if anyone would like to put their 2cents in itd be helpful .=) i want swords would it be over stocking in a 10gal 1 angel 3 swords and 2 adfs? oh and another question about FEEDING adf's it says to feed them blood worms how?!!! when i put the bloodworms in they float when i push them down in the water they come back up??

BettaMomma said:
be SURE to have a tight lid on your tank - they like to wander outside their tanks when no one's looking!
I guess I have a different type of ADF, mine are small, brownish that don't climb. Are there many kinds of frogs that are all lumped under "ADF?"

i heard that they were going to ban one of these african frogs because when people release them into the wild, they reproduce like crazy and they are destroying everything

ive read the info on adf's and all it mentions on food is freeze dried blood worms do they eat anything else? and do they surface to eat? or do they wait for the food to come to them.

Hi tank212 :)

I feed my ADFs live blackworms. Any that they don't eat right away go down into the gravel and live until the frogs find them.

HBH makes a tiny pellet called "Frog and Tadpole Bites," that is just the right size for them.

Here's a link to the pinned thread in the Invertebrates and Amphibians forum that gives a lot of information and leads to other links about them. It will also tell you how to tell them apart from their much larger relatives the African Clawed Frogs.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=18252

Yeah ADFs are really cool! :D
I am going to get 2 to put with my betta when his babies have grown up - do you think they'll eat the fry though?

After watching both my ADFs and ACFs, it looks to me like they eat almost as a reflex. If something that is an appropriate size passes near them they snap at it. They never stalk anything; they just grab whatever they can.

They eat at the top sometimes, but more often they take their food at the bottom or while it is drifting through the water.

It seems to me that both kinds will eat much more than I think they possibly could. They will eat until their bellys get round and they can't fit anything more in. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back