African Dwarf Frogs Heater

bluegravel

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone recommend a particular heater over the other for my African Dwarf Frogs, for a 5 gallon tank?

How about Hydor Mini Heater? Is that good?

Hi, depending on the model, I think the little hydor heaters raise the temp a few degrees above room temp. It really depends on the dimensions of your tank and what would fit in there. I keep my frogs at 24c and they seem happy and active. I did notice you said frogs, how many do you have? 5g is quite a small tank.

A

I actually don't have the frogs yet. I was gonna get them this weekend, I just wanted to have everything they needed before I put them in the tank because I figured itd be better for them.

I like using the heaters you stick right into the tank, rather than have them clip on the side and hang in - there are a few cheap models that instead of being adjustable, they automatically heat to a specific temp (will be on the box) this is also helpful in preventing heater malfunction or inaccurate setting and frying the frogs.

I use this one in all of my smaller frog tanks - it is the Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater
here is a link from petco's site so you can read about it. There are some mixed reviews, especially when it comes to bigger tanks, but I have used the 2-10 gallon size for all of my 10 gallons during the winter and have had no problems with it, even in my tadpole and froglet tanks.
Tetra Submersible heater

another brand you can look into is the Marina Submersible Mini Aquarium Heaters - I have not used these personally but they also seem to have good reviews.

also, for a 5 gallon, I assume you are getting african DWARF frogs, correct? a 5 gallon is acceptable for a pair (2 frog)

please make sure you know how to clearly identify the difference between an african DWARF and an african CLAWED frog - their needs are vastly different when it comes to tanks and they cannot be kept together.

pet stores will often label claweds as dwarf to increase the chance of a sale.

dwarfs - - have webbing on all four feet between the toes, eyes are flush against the side of their face, and are NEVER albino or the dyed colors.
claweds - have webbing only on their hind feet between the toes, eyes are ontop of their head and can come in a variety of colors

also, what are you planning on feeding them and how are you setting up the tank?
if you can, check out the link in my signature "Acf vs Adf - - learn the difference for the frogs"

there is a whole section dedicated to ADF and how to set up their tank and what their needs are

That one seems much better then the one I was looking at, where as it said the it can cause the temperature to change with the increase or decrease of room temperature.

Here is a pic of my setup. I was planning on buying maybe a couple more items, or at least one more so they could hide.

How many do you think I could put in this tank? Also I do know the difference, I used to have several of them when I was very little.

tank.jpg

nice set up, but you may want to get a floating plant for the surface to break up the light a little bit - ADF like covered and secure areas, usually given lots of hiding places but for a small tank, having a floating plant at the surface to give them more shadowing works great.

I like using live water wisteria, you only need to buy a little bit and leave it floating - it feeds off the frogs waste, grows very fast and just needs to be clipped back every now and then (i like a thick covering at the surface of the tank, other people like only a little)

also, the green and white plant to the right of the picture - if this is a live, it is not a water plant. LFS sell it as an aquatic plant but it will soon rot and ruin your water parameters. Only the roots should be submersed. You can take it out and stick it in a pot with soil and it will flourish, leave it in your tank will be disastrous. Adf are very sensitive to water conditions and a rotting plant would not do well with an ADF.

I too was sucked into buying those lovely aquatic plants only to find they would rot - definately a no no. Now when I go to my LFS for any plants I have to ask them - "is this one a true aquatic plant ? " - sometimes its a no & they say it'll only last a month or so but will look pretty. So do ask them first. My so called aquatic plants are now on my kitchen windowsill in pots.

The true ones will be more expensive too so that's another way to tell.

Wow, really? I had no idea. Thanks for the tip! And ill definitly check into these things. What is the recommended temperature for ADFs? Would 78 degrees or so do? And is that much light bad for them? My tank came with a 16 bulb LED light

78 is just fine for ADF

and it is not that the light is bad for them - they have very poor vision -mostly see in shadows. They like to hide in low light areas because they are calmer and less stressing - by having something at the top of the tank breaking up the light, it makes the whole tank feel like a secure hiding area - this makes them more active in the tank.

How many frogs could I put in the tank I got there ya think? And I just picked up that tetra heater tonight

5 gallons is acceptable for 2 frogs.

unfortunately no - - that is similar to the myth of " one inch per gallon"

5 gallons - 2 frogs at most.
10 gallons - 5 frogs, from 10 gallons up it is an average of two gallons per frog for LONG tanks, if you get tall tanks the percentage goes up to about 2.5 - 3 gallons per frog.

it is always best to give more room than less room for the well being of the frogs.

Is it recommended or okay that I mix in a betta fish with the two frogs?

for 5 gallons - you are really limited to 2 frogs OR 1 frog 1 betta - - be careful though - - the betta may eventually turn on the frog. Most bettas in petstores are still adolescents - there have been times when a betta has lived with frogs for months without incident, then overnight kills them.

Also, once you add a fish into their tank, you now have to take steps and handfeed the frog - - they hunt by scent, not sight. The fish will often eat all the food before the frog can find it.

When they live in a community setting you have to bring the food right down to the frog and try and fend off the fish from eating it before the frog can - - often in community settings you will find underweight frogs.

Most who keep ADF will recommend you keeping them in a species only setting for the wellbeing of the frog - they are more timid with fish in the tank because they get the passing shadow over them and by nature hide to get away from a possible "predator"

Most reactions

Back