African catfish... but which one?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mizz_MayDK

Reaction score
I got this one for free - the previous owner quit the aquarium hobby.
The only thing he told me is that it’s an African catfish - can anyone help me with a more specific name?
8AAC6F11-656A-4762-BA86-F07290F2C7BA.jpeg

It's not African. It's a bumblebee catfish, probably the Asian type. Males have a modified anal fin that resembles a gonopodium on a male guppy.

It's not African. It's a bumblebee catfish, probably the Asian type. Males have a modified anal fin that resembles a gonopodium on a male guppy.
Thanks - and You're right - South American as far as I can see from my google search ..... CRAP - I've put it in with my Malawis and the little rascal is impossible to catch again:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Microglanis sp. - nearly always sold as M. iheringi, but that's a name used for nearly all South American bumblebee cats sold! I won't try to ID it, as with many fish, without a catch location, it would be impossible to confirm. But you can be sure it's a Microglanis sp. and they originate from Brazil, Paraguay and beyond. They don't get big (around 2.5"), very nocturnal and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, so I wouldn't risk them with small tetras or baby livebearers etc. Other than that, make sure you feed a few sinking pellets after lights out to ensure they don't starve.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back