Advice + Fish To Keep In 10gal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chloe!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to fish keeping in general. :)

I'm interested in getting into the hobby of fishkeeping and have done lots of research. Of course, I know about the Nitrogen cycle, the pH levels, water temperature, water conditioner, lighting, heating and many other things. Lately I've been moving many objects into my basement and while doing so I found an empty 10 gallon tank in good conditions. A friend of mine suggested for me to get into keeping fish. During my research, I discovered that I can afford pretty much everything that's necessary, though I cannot add a tank to my "affordable" list yet. They are very expensive in my area and simply a 5.5 gallon tank can cost as much as 210$.

That is why I am looking for species of fish that can thrive in a 10 gallon tank and that are not bad for beginners. I would possibly also need advice on how many to keep depending on the type of fish. I'd also like to know how I can choose the right male and female ratio so that they don't reproduce. I am surely not ready to take care of fry yet. The tank isn't set up yet and I have nothing determined, so of course the fish won't be added until a month or two later.

Any ideas of fish to keep in a 10 gal tank? How many and which male: female ratio? What is their compatibility? Any other helpful information?

Thank you in advance! :thanks:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi there :)

What are the dimensions of your tank? We'll also need to know the hardness of your water (that's far more important for fish than pH. You should be able find out the hardness in your area on your supplier's wesbite, but that does depend where in the world you are; could you tell us, roughly, where you are?

Hi there :)

What are the dimensions of your tank? We'll also need to know the hardness of your water (that's far more important for fish than pH. You should be able find out the hardness in your area on your supplier's wesbite, but that does depend where in the world you are; could you tell us, roughly, where you are?
The dimensions I don't quite remember and I don't have the tank with me at the moment. The only thing I recall is that it's a 10 gallon tank. I'm in Canada and I don't know the hardness of my water yet, but I'll make sure to find out before getting any fish. I'm still in the "research" part of everything, so I won't be getting fish very soon.

well you could get platys or guppies, both very easy beginner fish to care for. Both of them are cheap and breed easily if you wanted to get into that. Tetras are also good, but you need to get a lot because they are schooling fish. Angelfish look very pretty, and you could get them but they are kinda delicate and not a beginner fish. Mollies, Swordtails, Barbs are also other fish you could get. (All these fish are community fish, and can be housed with each other.)

Livebearers (mollies, guppies, swordtails and platies) need hard water and shouldn't be kept in the same tank as soft water fish such as most tetras and angelfish. This is why Fluttermoth asked for the water hardness.

The tank in question is 10 gallons so it is too small for any of the common livebearers except endlers and perhaps guppies. It is far too small for angelfish, the vast majority of tetras and all barbs available in fish shops.

A 10 gallon tank is suitable only for the so called nanofish, or a single betta, but the species depends on the hardness of the water.

well you could get platys or guppies, both very easy beginner fish to care for. Both of them are cheap and breed easily if you wanted to get into that. Tetras are also good, but you need to get a lot because they are schooling fish. Angelfish look very pretty, and you could get them but they are kinda delicate and not a beginner fish. Mollies, Swordtails, Barbs are also other fish you could get. (All these fish are community fish, and can be housed with each other.)
way to small for an angel fish like way way way way way way way too small

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back