Adverse Reaction to Blue Light

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My swordtail acts weird when I change the light from white to blue.

Before, he would swim around normally when the light was changed.

Now when I change the light, he clamps his fins and tilts to the side as if losing buoyancy. I'll try to get a video of him doing it.

My swordtail acts weird when I change the light from white to blue.

Before, he would swim around normally when the light was changed.

Now when I change the light, he clamps his fins and tilts to the side as if losing buoyancy. I'll try to get a video of him doing it.
he probably is either confused or does not like blue light. i just turn the light completely off instead of blue

Mine don’t like blue light either. They probably aren’t used to it.

It's the sudden change in colour spectrum that is stressing the fish out.

In the morning when the sun comes up there is lots of yellow light and very little blue light shining down directly on us. There is blue light but due to the angle of the morning sun it's not that noticeable.

As the sun rises the amount of blue and red light increases and becomes more direct. By lunch time the blue, purple and UV light is directly above us and becomes quite intense.

As the day progresses, the angle of the sunlight changes and as the sun is going down, the amount of blue, purple and UV light decreases and more yellow light becomes visible.

If you have the blue, red and white lights on during the day, that gives the fish a natural colour spectrum for midday light. In the morning and evening you can reduce the white light and have red light only or red and blue. If you can't dim the white light separately, then just turn the lights off together.
Have the room light on before you turn the tank light off so the fish don't go from bright light to complete darkness. Then wait 30 minutes or more before turning the room light off.

It's the sudden change in colour spectrum that is stressing the fish out.

In the morning when the sun comes up there is lots of yellow light and very little blue light shining down directly on us. There is blue light but due to the angle of the morning sun it's not that noticeable.

As the sun rises the amount of blue and red light increases and becomes more direct. By lunch time the blue, purple and UV light is directly above us and becomes quite intense.

As the day progresses, the angle of the sunlight changes and as the sun is going down, the amount of blue, purple and UV light decreases and more yellow light becomes visible.

If you have the blue, red and white lights on during the day, that gives the fish a natural colour spectrum for midday light. In the morning and evening you can reduce the white light and have red light only or red and blue. If you can't dim the white light separately, then just turn the lights off together.
Have the room light on before you turn the tank light off so the fish don't go from bright light to complete darkness. Then wait 30 minutes or more before turning the room light off.

Unfortunately, my lights just have blue, white, or off. He seems to enjoy the white light in the day but it gives me a headache to have the white light on at 7:30 in the evening. Maybe I can slowly adjust him to having blue light 15 minutes before his bedtime?

Unfortunately, my lights just have blue, white, or off. He seems to enjoy the white light in the day but it gives me a headache to have the white light on at 7:30 in the evening. Maybe I can slowly adjust him to having blue light 15 minutes before his bedtime?
honestly i turn it on when i wake up or when the sun is up , that is a naturall buffer

honestly i turn it on when i wake up or when the sun is up , that is a naturall buffer
I wouldn’t recommend to turn the lights on in a completely dark room as soon as you get up. It would be similar to another person doing that to us while we are trying to sleep.

What I do, is I turn my room lights on and open the curtains in my room, for about 15 minutes. Then after they have had a chance to “wake up”, I turn their tank lights on.

I really like lights that are adjustable for brightness (I think Fluval lights are) because you could slowly get them used to it.

I wouldn’t recommend to turn the lights on in a completely dark room as soon as you get up. It would be similar to another person doing that to us while we are trying to sleep.

What I do, is I turn my room lights on and open the curtains in my room, for about 15 minutes. Then after they have had a chance to “wake up”, I turn their tank lights on.

I really like lights that are adjustable for brightness (I think Fluval lights are) because you could slowly get them used to it.
hehe i wake up super late

Can you get a desk lamp and put a warm white globe in it. Have this next to the tank. The warm globe produce a yellow coloured light and you could have that come on just before the tank light goes off. It would be easier for the fish and better for you if you are in the room. Yellow light helps simulate sunset and tells the brain it's time for bed. :)

-------------------
hehe i wake up super late
One of my doctors said I need to watch the sun come up in the morning because it was a great time of day. I said "I see the sun come up every morning, just before I go to bed".

I get up at 2am, 3am, 4am, 6am, 11am.

crap sleep pattern and an old body with a weak bladder. You young people have this to look forward to as you age. :)
on the weekends i always wake up at like 11:30 and then im like "oh no the fish must be hungry!"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back