ADF’s are acting strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

L0k!

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently got some African Dwarf Frog’s around two months ago. The tank also has four mollies and every test I’ve done has shown every level to be around average( tank is ten gallon). Yesterday I woke up to find one of my frogs on its back dead, I assumed it died of some disease and immediately separated and threw it away. I did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel. All the other frogs and mollies seemed completely fine and all were reacting normally. Today I walked in to see one of my frogs on its back, It wasn’t dead but couldn’t swim to the surface. I put it into a separate cup with ways to stay half in and out of the water. I’ve read so many forums and each answer ( ammonia poisoning, chytria , or diopsy) and none of the symptoms fit. I’m frustrated and confused as yesterday the frog was active and eating a lot of food. Any suggestion?

First frogs shouldnt be kept with fish, especially large fish like mollies.
Frogs are shy and have poor eyesight and use their noses to find food in or on the substrate which requires they have sand. Fish will out compete frogs for food and Not only will the food be lost in the cracks between the gravel but the bacteria that grows between those cracks can grow bacteria that can be harmful to frogs that spend majority of time on substrate. Frogs also need to go to surface to get air, with fish in the tank this makes it harder and fish will often nip at them when they go for air. Also mollies are a hard water fish and while adf are fairly adaptable to water hardness levels they do better in softer water than mollies require and dont tolerate any salt in the water as it is absorbed through their skin as they are amphibians and can quickly kill them.
Any other chemicals one might add to your tank frogs like most inverts are highly sensitive to as well as high nitrates and ammonia.
Put the frogs is a tank by themselves with sand on the bottom, they do best in large groups as they are very social and active in the absence of fish with fish they are stressed which makes them more susceptible to disease which results in premature death.

First frogs shouldnt be kept with fish, especially large fish like mollies.
Frogs are shy and have poor eyesight and use their noses to find food in or on the substrate which requires they have sand. Fish will out compete frogs for food and Not only will the food be lost in the cracks between the gravel but the bacteria that grows between those cracks can grow bacteria that can be harmful to frogs that spend majority of time on substrate. Frogs also need to go to surface to get air, with fish in the tank this makes it harder and fish will often nip at them when they go for air. Also mollies are a hard water fish and while adf are fairly adaptable to water hardness levels they do better in softer water than mollies require and dont tolerate any salt in the water as it is absorbed through their skin as they are amphibians and can quickly kill them.
Any other chemicals one might add to your tank frogs like most inverts are highly sensitive to as well as high nitrates and ammonia.
Put the frogs is a tank by themselves with sand on the bottom, they do best in large groups as they are very social and active in the absence of fish with fish they are stressed which makes them more susceptible to disease which results in premature death.
Thank you I think when I first got the frogs I read some bad sources as so many said it was fine to keep non agressive fish with frogs

The tank is also way to small for even a single molly, let alone 4

Most reactions

Back