Adf Problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

missy25

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question about my adf.
I've had him a short while now and everything has been fine until I got off holiday at week.
He's been looked after while I've been away and been fine. I fed him when I got back and about an hour later I went to him and he's been hanging around the top of the tank a lot. I was told it could have been bloat. I tested the water and that was perfect.
He was just constantly going up for air and floating near the top. It was night so couldn't do much apart from keep an eye on him. Next day he went ok back down to the bottom and acting normal. Next time I fed him the same thing happened but then a couple of hours later he went ok again. This has been happening every time I feed him. I keep expecting to get up one morning for him to be dead but seems to be fine by the next day. I feed him on frozen bloodworm that's defrosted. And I try and get him to feed on the frog granules but im struggling with that!! Any help on how to get him to feed on the granules would be great.
But Yeh the main thing is does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. He gets hand fed so no waste food. He still wants his food. He's not bloated as in body still looks fine no ballooning up or anything.
Thanks
That should have said holiday last week sorry

Any help on how to get him to feed on the granules would be great.
If I may make a suggestion. Stop feeding it blood worm, Offer it the granules if it refuses them remove them and try again the next day, 3 or 4 days and guess what.

Your ADF has you trained well already.  I went thru the same battle with my betta she would refuse a pellet so stupid me gave her blood worm or a live bug, It took 4 days but she decided pellets are great now.

Do not worry it will not starve.

Yeh he's really got me trained. Constantly worry over him and panic lol!!
I was told to try help the bloat to feed him a garden worm. He loved that. I hated it having to cut it up!!
I just don't want him starving. Where I had him from didn't seem to be able to look after them too well either. Just no matter what he eats he is doing the floating and hanging around at the top. He will come down for like a minute or so then go back up.
I do need to get him used to the pellets.
He just doesn't seem to be able to notice them

He just doesn't seem to be able to notice them
You say hes hand fed. Ok try this.

Get a spoon and drop a few bits of blood worm in it amd mash then up in a drop or 2 of water then soak the pellets in it, then offer it to him a you would blood worm. Things we do for our fish and frogs.

Picture this a 51 year old man with a 6 foot pink butterfly net in a park trying to catch bugs for his bettas dinner.

Awesome I will try that.

Haha oh dear!! Pets have us wrapped around there tiny fingers!!

NickAu said:

Picture this a 51 year old man with a 6 foot pink butterfly net in a park trying to catch bugs for his bettas dinner.

bwuahahaha
cool.png

Can anyone shed any light for me. I'm having problems with this bloody frog of mine.
I love him to bits.
But im having issues with keeping fish and other frogs ... wondering if he is the issue.

I had him with another frog. After a month the little frog seemed to get poorly went weak and the bigger frog started bullying him. Dragging him to the bottom of the tank. I separated them and I lost the little one. :(
Anyway he was then left in with a small otto. About a week later I got up and they were both fine. About an hour later the otto was dead... I tested all the water levels etc .. no issues there.
Anyway got a small ancistrus plec. Fine for a couple of weeks. No issues in the tank both animals calm and getting along fine. Got up this morning plec dead...
I'm starting to wonder if it's the frog I have causing the problems..
Any ideas as I'm still new to this. My dad has kept tropical and marine in the past and done well but neither of us have kept adfs

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back