Addressing a tank leak- what should I do?

dsch132

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I have a 5 gallon tank on the tail end of a fishless cycle- the parameters are perfect and all is ready for the addition of a betta and mystery snail on Sunday. However, yesterday it started leaking. Worst of all, the leak is at the very bottom of the tank. The leakage is, thankfully, not substantial (only a couple of drops escaping at once). I've been catching the water in a bucket and feeding it back into the tank every few hours. However, I'm out of sealant and the only day I can leave for the next few weeks is Sunday (the same day I planned to add fish).

I'm just under the warranty, so, theoretically, I could replace the tank. The store also said I could keep the filter cartridges. One potential plan is to let the tank run until Sunday. Then, I will transfer all of the water into a bucket, take everything out, and return/replace the tank on the same day I purchase the fish and snail. Then, I will (quickly) rinse the new items, add the old water and materials, and prepare for acclimation. My LFS is relatively close to home but I still worry about keeping my new fish in an unheated bag or tiny plastic container for too long. Is this overly stressful?

The alternative plan is to simply order sealant online and fix it next week or only get the new tank on Sunday. Fish would be added at some yet undetermined point in the next couple of months. Call me impatient, but I was very excited about this project. It was to be my girlfriend's introduction to the aquarium hobby- her first tank since a childhood disaster with goldfish. She is very put out about the entire situation. To remedy this dilemma quickly and efficiently would be ideal but not at the price of our animal's safety. What do you think?

I would get the new tank, as it’s covered by the warranty.

Put the Betta, along with a heater, in a 5g bucket or plastic tub for now.

Go to the store and get the new tank. Then transfer all the substrate/decor/equipment over to the new tank. (Makes sure to keep the same filter cartridge as it contains your beneficial bacteria. Don’t rinse the cartridge in tap water)

Once you get it all setup, add your Betta.

Wow rough buddy! I would wait that extra while and get the now tank dont risk the safety of your fish just to introduce someone into the hobby. If it was me I would wait the extra time to make sure your fish live as long and as happy as possible but maybe someone disagrees and has another solution for a quick fix

Drain the water level down a bit and it should leak slower because there will be less water pressure.

Keep the filter running until you return the tank. Then put the filter into a plastic storage container or bucket with tank water and lkeep the filter running.

Empty the tank, remove gravel and everything from it. Rinse the tank out and take it to the pet shop. Get a new tank, take it home and set it up. Let it run for a few days to a week so the filter finishes cycling, then get some fish.

Use a permanent marker to mark the tank where it's leaking.

Don't patch the tank. If the silicon is leaking now, the entire tank could come apart in the near future. Just swap the tank for a new one.

Thanks again for all of the advice! Last night the tank sprang yet another leak. I worried this could lead to something unmanageably severe, so I drained all of the water into a clean bucket and am now running my filter and heater in said bucket. This Sunday, I am taking the tank to my LFS to get it replaced and but I don't plan on getting the fish yet- not until I know for sure that my water parameters were not altered by this debacle (and the new tank doesn't share the flaws of it's predecessor). My filtered bucket is pretty sad looking but hopefully it will be worth it so I don't have to repeat the cycling process all over again. Since I've been catching the water as it leaks, the volume is still about the same.

Thanks to all of you once again. I now have a fully-cycled tank with no leaks, ready for move-in! I'm so grateful they didn't make me return filter media with the rest of the equipment...

Most reactions

Back