ACF

abby'smom

Reaction score
Anyone know how fast these guys grow? I know they get pretty big but will he outgrow the 10? He's about 2 inches long now.
Thanks in advance, Erin

I've got a pair of ACF in a 20gal setup and they are doing fine. I've had them for about 5 months, each around 3 inches

Thanks. For now he's with my RTBS, but when I get my new tank the shark will be going in that. So I plan on the frog being the only inhabitant of the 10.
Erin

Hi abby'smom :)

Actually, a 10 gallon tank is enough room for your frog, but if you can move him up to a 20 gallon high, I think you will like it better. Not only will he have more room to move around, but you might find that the extra height more comfortable for you at cleaning time. It seems to me that they can jump out of the shallow 10 gallon tank a whole lot faster than they can the 20.

It would also accommodate a companion for him, if you so choose. :D

Thanks, Inch. Sounds like a good idea, I might do that as he grows a bit more. But I think I'd keep him alone other than the odd feeder fish when he gets big enough to eat them.
And here's a question about that... He's an albino, so natrually he doesn't see well (right?). Will he really be able to catch a feeder to eat it? I ask because right now, he seems to stumble upon his food by accident. So I can't picture him "hunting".
B) Erin

I've fed my albino clawed frogs on tetras productivly. More then anything the fish stumble across the frog and they pounce. ACF are very messy eaters (so regular water changes are demanded) while you may not know this, but there is reports of the species living up to 20yrs in captivity.

After 10months they reach full maturity, while my ACF's love bloodworm.Look into buying some if you dont already feed him on it.

Just some small tips

Thanks. B)

And what a poop factory he is too! I've had to start doing 2 weekly water changes in that tank!

I feed him frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. He devours them both as if I starve him!

I did read that they live quite a long time. I hope to keep him healthy so he does. He'a a cute little bugger. Though I think it may get a little intimidating when he get to be bigger! The info I read said they get to be as big as your palm. But females are the bigger sex. About how big/old do they have to be to sex them?

:) Erin

[quote name='abby'smom' date='Nov 1 2004, 06:22 AM'] Thanks. B)

And what a poop factory he is too! I've had to start doing 2 weekly water changes in that tank!

I feed him frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. He devours them both as if I starve him!

I did read that they live quite a long time. I hope to keep him healthy so he does. He'a a cute little bugger. Though I think it may get a little intimidating when he get to be bigger! The info I read said they get to be as big as your palm. But females are the bigger sex. About how big/old do they have to be to sex them?

:) Erin [/quote]
From what I understand they reach sexual maturity after 10 months

I heard somewhere that the males will get "dirty" "hands" their claws or paws or w/e you wanna call them get to be a little darker and look like its dirt...if that's right then i got me a male.
just found another way....
claw_malfem.jpg

SConrad said:
I heard somewhere that the males will get "dirty" "hands" their claws or paws or w/e you wanna call them get to be a little darker and look like its dirt...if that's right then i got me a male.
just found another way....
claw_malfem.jpg
My male has darkened patches running from his hands down his arms. Is this a sign that he is just male or that he is now sexually mature aswell? I presume the latter.

My female, albino ACF skin is slightly darkened on its back, looking rather blotchy. Can anyone tell me why this has occured?

I spotted my male clutching my female frog last night, but the poor bugger was the wrong way round...

Nevermind

Thanks, I was having a brain fart. I had forgotten that part of the artical and the pics. The male gets darker, rougher skin on his arms. And the girl has the little protrution(sp) on her behind.

I can't see either on my frog yet, he's still just a runt. His body is only about 2 inches long.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!
B) Erin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back