About To Battle The Ich 4 1st Time...

kuruptedseed

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Orlando, Fl
So, I've done the 50% water change and cleaned the gravel fairly well.. I just started to raise the temp of the tank water.. Going slowly so matters aren't made worse. At what point do I add my medication? Immediately after tank water reaches 85-86 degrees? Or can I add to water now even thou it's just at 82 and rising? Also can I do water changes and gravel cleanings during medication treatment? How long after I add medication should I stop its use? I know I need to remove carbon filter but, since I have a canister filter how do I adequately clean it once medication is complete? Do I continue running canister filter during treatment? A few of the details are confusing me here and I need to make sure I do this right.. I have also added an airstone for aeration.. Please help me.. First bout with the ick! Thanks in advance

Mikey
 
I've never had Ick but I've read many times that salt and raising temp is very effective withouut any meds at all. Just Google the amount of salt recommended for your tank volume...assuming your particular fish can tolerate salt.
 
I have found that Coppersafe is one of the best meds for ich. You only have to dose once and it stays in the water for a month... the only bad thing about it is that it kills plants. I think it's worth it, though!

Did the ich come from the silver dollar? We had an outbreak while I was away on vacation. Good thing you isolated him.
 
So, I've done the 50% water change and cleaned the gravel fairly well.. I just started to raise the temp of the tank water.. Going slowly so matters aren't made worse. At what point do I add my medication? Immediately after tank water reaches 85-86 degrees? Or can I add to water now even thou it's just at 82 and rising? Also can I do water changes and gravel cleanings during medication treatment? How long after I add medication should I stop its use? I know I need to remove carbon filter but, since I have a canister filter how do I adequately clean it once medication is complete? Do I continue running canister filter during treatment? A few of the details are confusing me here and I need to make sure I do this right.. I have also added an airstone for aeration.. Please help me.. First bout with the ick! Thanks in advance

Mikey

the exact method of treatment will be given on the pack. some need left in, some stay only for a day and then you retreat in another day or so. but you could start your first treatment now, i would assume. water temp does not actually aid the med. what it does is speed up the life cycle of the parasite. the parasite is only vulnerable to meds, when it is in a free swimming form. so speeding up the lifecycle brings the vunerable stage aroung quicker.

leave your filter running, removing any carbon elements. hot water holds less O2, so as you raise the heat you will need to increase aireation. if you add airstones, they willl need to be BIG. the only real "extra" O2 added by airstones is caused by surface disruption, little is absorbed from the bubbles. my advice would be to place the outlet of both filters, just above the surface (if possible) a spray bar for the cannistar would be ideal.

as for cleaning your filter, adding carbon will do the trick, allong with replacing any filter floss. just remember that the carbon will not last long, so relpace it regulally. give the cannister and internal a normal, maintainence, clean. there is no real need to do anything extra, as far as i can see :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top