About KH and CO2 assimilation

NikkiY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I read in About.com that if plants can assimilate CO2 from the bicarbonate presented in the water. What is your thoughts on that? If this is true, then would I still need to have CO2 injection?

Thanks.

Nikki

CO2 is more readily usable, you have to remember that plants have to expend energy to breakdown bicarbonates, while co2 is molecularly smaller.

Some plants require more readily avialbal carbon at higher concentrations than others and all benefit with a greater concentration in the water.

Many plants do not need co2 addition, however they will grow more slowly without it.

Some leaves of my plants are getting brownish yellow, is that a deficiency of CO2 or others? My lighting is 40W on a 32g tank. Currently, I don't use any plant food.

Nikki

Well, the reason they're dying is either~
1) they don't have enough light
2) they don't have enough nutrients
3) they need co2.

I would think that you should add nutrients for them and then think about co2. A good plant food is Seachem's Flourish. You could also go on google and try to figuire out what nutrient deficiency they are displaying. :)

Your lighting is probably why the plants aren't looking so good. What plants do you have? Some will grow with very little light whereas others almost need the sun right above your tank. You have just over 1 watt per gallon. CO2 would be wasted at your current light levels. I think the extra nutrients would be a waste as well. Right now your light is the limiting factor for plant growth. I wouldn't suggest adding CO2 until your lights are between 2 to 3 WPG. Be cautious if you do add extra nutrients right now. You may end up with a major algae bloom.

Just my 2 cents...

Colin

Colin_BC said:
Your lighting is probably why the plants aren't looking so good. What plants do you have? Some will grow with very little light whereas others almost need the sun right above your tank. You have just over 1 watt per gallon. CO2 would be wasted at your current light levels. I think the extra nutrients would be a waste as well. Right now your light is the limiting factor for plant growth. I wouldn't suggest adding CO2 until your lights are between 2 to 3 WPG. Be cautious if you do add extra nutrients right now. You may end up with a major algae bloom.

Just my 2 cents...

Colin
Hi Colin

I have the Hygrophila corymbosa and Echinodorus parviflorus.

Nikki

Here's a bit of general info on your plants, courtesy of http://www.tropica.com .

Hygrophila corymbosa ''Stricta''
Family Acanthaceae

Continent Asia

Region South-east Asia

Country of origin

Height 30-50 cm

Width 15-20 cm

Light requirements medium-very high

Temperature 20-28 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-hard

pH tolerance 5,5-8

Growth fast

Demands easy

The original Hygrophila corymbosa. An undemanding plant for large aquariums, which thrives in almost any conditions. If it is not pruned it easily grows above the water surface, where it forms dark-green leaves and beautiful blue flowers. This makes it particularly suitable for open aquariums. It is most beautiful in groups, but the shoots must not be planted too close, because this will prevent light reaching the lower leaves.

Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'

Family Alismataceae

Continent Cultivar , South America

Region Cultivar

Country of origin

Height 5-15 cm

Width 12-20 cm

Light requirements low-very high

Temperature 21-28 °C

Hardness tolerance soft-hard

pH tolerance 5,5-8

Growth slow

Demands medium

Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica' is characterised by its beautiful hammered leaves with a small tip. The size depends on the light intensity, and in poor light it is quite a small plant. It looks best in small groups. Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica' was named after Tropica in 1985 by the Danish botanists Niels Jacobsen and Lauritz Holm-Nielsen.

FYI, Low light for a planted tank is generally considered to be around 2WPG (watts per gallon). High light is generally considered to be 4+WPG. The hygrophila probably won't do well under your lights. The echinodorus may survive and grow slowly, but I wouldn't expect it to thrive by any stretch of the imaginiation. You could add some Java ferns and java moss. These will grow under minimal light.

Colin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back