Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

jourdy288

Sorry, can't help spammin, it's the OCD! Hey there
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Behind a little bubbling cave.
:angry: I can't believe this!!! My VICOUS! Zebra danio, Shirley, has beaten all my platies to death, I only have one now, he's floating on top of the tank gasping for air. >(
 
Happens. Getting rid of it is the obvious choice, however:

What size tank?
What are your water parameters?
Any other tank-mates?
Has this been a long-lasting thing or a sudden burst of aggression from mr. danio?

The gasping at the surface caught my attention to ask the above questions, although it could just be super-stressed out fish simply gasping for air, it's probably that coupled with something else.
 
Zebra Danios can get nippy, I personally think that mixing them with platies wasn't the best choice...

20 gallons should be the minimum for danios, they are sooo active!


When you have nippy schooling fish, you want them in bigger groups, this way aggression is spread more around. Besides, schooling fish need to be in groups bigger then 2 anyways. I recommend re-homing them...
 
When you have nippy schooling fish, you want them in bigger groups, this way aggression is spread more around. Besides, schooling fish need to be in groups bigger then 2 anyways. I recommend re-homing them...
I agree. The danios really need to be in a bigger tank with a bigger group. Keeping only a couple will only cause you trouble, which you obviously figured out. You should take the 2 zebras back to the LFS and get more platies to replace your old ones.
 
The problem is, I now only have one zebra due to a disease I named "Skinnying disease" where a danio, though eating, wastes away. There is nothing I can do to stop it. I would buy more danios, but I can't due to that disease.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top