A Stupid Question - Lead In Aquariums

Jnoosh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey again,

Just a quick question;

Does putting lead in your aquarium harm your fish?

I noticed on the back of my water treatments, it says it removes toxic heavy metals, such as copper and lead.

I then noticed my plants are held together/down with strips of lead?

Cheers in advance!

Josh.

i wouldnt think it would dissolve in water so will be safe, old water pipes were made out of lead and dont think it did anyone any harm :lol: . it could be meaning lead compounds which i wouldnt know if they would harm fish or not.

Lloyd

Hey again,

Just a quick question;

I noticed on the back of my water treatments, it says it removes toxic heavy metals, such as copper and lead.

Cheers in advance!

Josh.

lead weights aren't actually made of lead, as lead would be worth too much. It is advisable to take plants out of their lead weights and planting each stem separately, about 1.5cm apart, to encourage good growth.

cheers :good:

ermm. just re-read the question properly. +1 to the first answer. The person who wrote the third post obviously wasn't paying attention :blush:

Lead metal can leach into water, that's why they avoid the use of lead pipes now, with lead poisoning being a problem. Small children are most susceptible to lead poisoning, so I'd assume small animals like fish are also at risk if they're constantly swimming in it. But as someone else said the lead weights might not be lead anyways. It might be a good idea to take them off though. You can use other things to weigh them down if you need to.

Supa "Big 10"
83.jpg

they do make stuff like stress coat thats supposed to detoxiify it, but i suppose it cant be too much harm if plant weights are made of it.

Pretend lead is ok. Real lead definitely isn't. My final thought on the subject.

both types are safe. though i guess a very acidic aquarium may have problems over time. even so, using a "heavy metal" binding conditioner (de-chlorinator, at weekly water changes) will solve that problem.

here is the thing. its been used (lead) for decades, in aquariums. honestly do you really thing, something "harmful", would have been used for so long?

which ever type of "weight" you use, though, they are best removed, if you are planting.

Hey again,

Just a quick question;

Cheers in advance!

Josh.
what contains lead that you're putting in your tank if you don't mind me asking?

Most reactions

Back