A Poor Mans Fishless Cycle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clareriley

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I overheard 2 men in my lfs talking about cycling a new tank.

one said to the other if you cant afford to buy the fish just so they can die then get a piece of bacon plop it in with the heat high... leave it for 2 weeks, take it out. leave it for a week. test the water, if ok then vacume the gravel, do a water change and hey presto.. better than all that polave about adding liquid amonia...

im like wtf.. but is there some truth to this?

there is some truth in that the bacon will decompose and give off ammonia. but its rather crap, add ammonia properly - cleaner and much more controlled.

I overheard 2 men in my lfs talking about cycling a new tank.

one said to the other if you cant afford to buy the fish just so they can die then get a piece of bacon plop it in with the heat high... leave it for 2 weeks, take it out. leave it for a week. test the water, if ok then vacume the gravel, do a water change and hey presto.. better than all that polave about adding liquid amonia...

im like wtf.. but is there some truth to this?

:lol:

That's really funny because a pack of bacon costs as much as starter fish while a gallon of ammonia is about 99¢. :blink:

Some people do a fishless cycle with fish food but that's a lot more expensive then ammonia too and harder to regulate.

Sorry just read Poor mans Fishless Cycle so thought someone was pissing in the tank agian :D

Bacon would decompose and give off more than just ammonia. It'd be safer just peeing in the tank. :p

It's high in nitrites too IIRC.

If this is true and it gives off nitrites right away then it could possibly cut short the cycling time a little right? Because the nitrite-eating bacteria would start forming right away along with the ammonia-eating bacteria.

Still probably safer to use pure ammonia, or even better just get a bunch of filter catridges or bio wheels from a mature tank. :hey:

I thought of that too but the benefit is lost by the fact it's basically rotting meat which will invite less desirable bacteria to colonize as well.

How about using a few big snails to cycle a tank? I would think that snails are much hardier.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back