A New Direction

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adzilla88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After 'briefly' giving real plants a go, my Severum was having none of it and decided to tuck in, which quickly put an end to the my plan of having a planted tank (or so I thought....). I know it isn't a secret that the majority of Severums are serial plant eaters but I did try Anubias and Java Fern to no avail.

I must confess that of late I have become a little bored with just the bogwood and rocks that I previously had, and this meant I was losing interest in the hobby. I felt I needed to change the layout or just do something different to liven things up abit. After searching on the internet I really wanted to introduce some sort of plants along with some of the existing bogwood and rocks. I came across a blog on another forum that will remain anonymous (PFK *cough cough*) who used Sydeco plants to create a fantastic look. I, along with many others had this preconception that plastic/fake plants should be avoided as they look tacky, but I must say that I am amazed at how good these look in my tank. Obviously they are never going to look as impressive as real plants, but they far exceeded my expectations.

After spending close to £100 on a selection of the Sydeco 'Natural' plant range, I have uploaded a couple of pictures below. Please bare in mind that I still need to add more sand to cover up the base of the plants.

This is also my first serious aquascape so I would appreciate any ideas to improve the overall look as well as any criticisms or improvements anyone wishes to offer.

From this:

To this:

Cheers
Adam

That's really cool! I like it a lot. I've always enjoyed the "island" style of aquascaping. While I'm not ire I you were going for an "island," that's what it reminds me of. I love the colors. Not too fake looking, but just enough color to add to the decor without going tacky. It also kind of reminds me of a volcano or a fire.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back